Origin and History
The ship was built at Deptford and launched in 1746.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- 1757: captain Henry Speke
The ship was transformed into a hulk in the East Indies in 1760.
Service during the War
In Mid July 1756, when vice-admiral Charles Watson was summoned to Madras after the fall of Calcutta, the ship was Watson's flagship. In Mid October, it was part of the escort of the British expedition against Calcutta. By December 15, it was at Fulta with Watson's squadron. On December 29, she was ordered to sail up to Fort Budge Budge and to silence its guns. The fort was then abandoned by its garrison. On December 30, the fleet advanced up to Alighur where Clive's force was disembarked. On January 2 1757, while Clive advanced on Calcutta, the 4 ships of the line of admiral Watson's squadron engaged the enemy at Fort William. The troop of the nawab soon deserted the fort.
In 1757, she was the flagship of admiral Watson's squadron operating in Bengal. In March it took part to the expedition against Chandernagore. On March 23, she was among the ships who bombarded Chandernagore for three hours, forcing the fort to surrender. She lost 19 killed and 49 wounded during this action.
To do: campaigns from 1758 to 1760.
In 1760, the ship was transformed into a hulk in the East Indies.
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 181-184
Blasco, Manuel, British 3rd Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 161-163
Fortescue, J. W., A History of the British Army, Vol. II, MacMillan, London: 1899, pp. 411-414
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy