Légion Britannique Dragoons
Origin and History
The unit was amalgamated in 1762 from the five dragoon squadrons of the individual Legion battalions and placed under the command of Major von Hattorf.
Service during the War
The unit was intended for the Kleinkrieg and fought many skirmish actions.
On July 31 1760, the unit took part in the Battle of Warburg where it was deployed in an isolated position on the left wing in front of Warburg.
On July 16 1761, at the Battle of Vellinghausen, the five battalions were part of the reserve.
By October 22 1762, the amalgamated dragoon regiment was at Kirchhain under the command of Major von Hattorf.
The dragoons were amalgamated in 1762 from the five distinct battalions listed below to form a single regiment. At the time, the five individual squadrons retained their old uniforms from their original battalion. All of the squadrons had the same horse furniture.
|Saddlecloth||red with white bordering and a white GR cypher and crown in the corner|
|Sabretache||red with white bordering and a white GR cypher and crown in the centre|
Troopers were armed with a straight steel hilted sword, two pistols and a carbine. The carbine was slung from the shoulder belt on a swivel hook. The mounted troops wore cavalry boots.
Would have been uniformed as before the amalgamation.
Pengel & Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Schlichtegroll, C. U.: Pentz von: Die “légion britannique”, Leipzig, 1931