Origin and History
Since 1699, there were Land-Bataillon (militia battalions). Each of these battalions consisted of 4 companies of 125 men each.
During the Seven Years' War, the chef of the regiment was:
- in 1750: colonel Hoffmann von Löwenfeld
Service during the War
The battalion saw no action during the Seven Years' War.
|Coat||dark blue lined red with 2 white buttonholes on each side under the lapel; 2 white buttons on the right side under the lapel; probably 1 white button and 1 buttonhole on each side at the small of the back; coat hooked together only at the top of the chest
|Waistcoat||white with 1 row of white buttons and with horizontal pockets|
Privates were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a sabre.
Grenadier NCO's carried canes, their cuffs and cuff flaps were lined in silver and their sabre straps and cap pompoms were red, white and blue. They wore no lace buttonholes.
The officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:
- black tricorne edged silver
- buff gauntlets
Grenadier officers wore grenadier caps; they were armed with carbines and had the small pouch on a gold-embroidered waist belt.
All company officers carried spontoons and gilt-topped Spanish canes.
no information available yet
Colonel flag (Leibfahne): white field; centre device consisting of the crowned Hessian crest, held by two lions.
Regimental flags (Kompaniefahnen): field consisting of 8 groups of blue, white and red flames; centre device consisting of the crowned, red and white Hessian lion on a blue field within a golden laurel wreath.
The finials bore the crowned double “L”. The staffs were black, the cordons and tassels were red, white and blue.
Beck, Fritz: Geschichte der Grossherzoglich Hessischen Fahnen und Standarten, Berlin 1895.
Bredow-Wedel: Historische Rang- und Stammliste des deutschen Heeres three volumes, Verlag August Scherl, Berlin 1905.
Zernin, Copies from Darmstädter Grenadierbilder 1750, ULB Darmstadt, Gr. Folio 3/67
Digby Smith for the initial version of this article.