Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Hanoverian Army >> Ledebour Infantry
Origin and History
In 1745, the third battalion of Bourdon Infantry, which had been created in 1741, became the regiment Hohorst Infantry counting two battalions. At the death of his Inhaber, each of the two battalions of this new regiment became an independent regiment, the present regiment being one of them.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhabers were:
- from 1748: Colonel Friedrich Johann von Ledebour (promoted to major-general in 1757 and died in Stade on January 5 1758)
- from 1758: Colonel Ernst Wilhelm von Bock (promoted to major-general on 1759, to lieutenant-general in 1776 and to general of infantry in 1784)
Service during the War
On July 26, 1757, during the French invasion of Hanover, the regiment took part in the Battle of Hastenbeck where it was deployed on the right wing under the command of Lieutenant-General Zastrow. It was posted near the Afferde watchtower.
In February 1758, the regiment took part in the Allied winter offensive in Western Germany. On February 28, it contributed to the capture of Nienburg. It was then sent to take part in the siege of Minden which surrendered on March 26. On May 26, the regiment was with the corps of the Prince von Anhalt in the camp of Coesfeld. On May 31, this corps accompanied Ferdinand of Brunswick in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the Battle of Krefeld where it was deployed on the right wing, in the brigade of the Erbprinz (Hereditary Prince) of Brunswick. The regiment suffered heavy losses in this battle but captured a cannon. In August, it followed the Allied army when it recrossed the Rhine. In September, the regiment took part in the expedition against the corps of the Duc de Chevreuse posted near Soest.
In June 1759, the regiment was part of the main Allied army under the command of Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On July 27 in the afternoon, the Hereditary Prince set off from Petershagen, near Minden, with 6 bns, including this regiment, and 8 dragoon sqns, totalling some 6,000 men, and marched south-westward towards Lübbecke to threaten the French left flank and the supply line between Minden and Paderborn. On August 1, the regiment was part of the centre of the corps of the Hereditary Prince who attacked and defeated Brissac's French corps at the engagement of Gohfeld. On August 28 in the morning, the regiment took part in a surprise attack on Fischer's Corps (about 2,000 men) at Oberwetter. Most of Fischer's Corps escaped but 50 men were killed and 350 were taken prisoners. In September, it participated in the siege and capture of the Castle of Marburg. On November 20, it contributed to the relief of the Castle of Albachten. A few days later, it was at the capitulation of Münster. It then took up its winter-quarters at Ucherup (unidentified location).
On July 10, 1760, the regiment took part in the Combat of Corbach where it was attached to the right column under Lieutenant-General Count von Kilmannsegg. At the end of July, it was at the affair of the Krayzenberg near Kassel. On July 31, the grenadiers of the regiment took part in the Battle of Warburg where Lieutenant Dinklage was killed and Captain-Lieutenant von Hohorst was wounded.
In 1761, the regiment initially took part in the unsuccessful siege of Kassel. On July 16, it fought in the Battle of Vellinghausen where it was attached to the first line and captured two guns. On August 14, the regiment took part in an action against Belzunce's Corps at Dassel near Einbeck. It took up its winter-quarters in the vicinities of Hameln.
By May 23, 1762, the regiment served with the main Allied army. It was attached to Colonel von Rhoedern's Brigade. On June 24, the regiment took part in the Battle of Wilhelmsthal under the command of Ferdinand of Brunswick.
Wissel mentions that, prior to 1748, the distinctive colour of the regiment was green, it was then changed to blue in 1748 and to white in 1761.
|Coat||red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels (hidden by the sleeve in our plate)
|Waistcoat||dark blue with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword (brass hilt), and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had silver lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in white.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating dark blue and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Colour: white field; centre device consisting of the Arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).
Regimental Colour: pale blue field; centre device consisting of a mailed arm issuing from a cloud and holding a sword, the whole surrounded by a crowned laurel wreath; a scroll below the crown carrying the motto DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and our own interpretation (right).
This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Wissel, Friedrich v. and Georg von Wissel: Geschichte der Errichtung sämmtlicher Chur-Braunschweig-Lüneburgischen Truppen, sammt ihren Fahnen, Standarten und Pauken-Devisen ..., Zelle, 1786, pp. 445-449
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, H., and Hans M. Brauer: Heer und Tradition
Niemeyer, Joachim, Ortenburg Georg: The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel & Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial, J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar