Leib-Garde zu Pferd
Origin and History
A single squadron was raised on February 8 1660. It was disbanded in 1683.
A squadron was raised again on March 25 1695.
In 1734, the regiment became a cuirassier regiment until 1739.
The regiment counted 1 squadron on February 1744, for a total of 106 men.
In 1747, the regiment took the name of "Garde-du-Corps"
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was owned by the Duke of Württemberg.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- from 1752: Lieutenant-Colonel Franz Karl von Schach
- from 1759: Colonel Karl Friedr. von Wöllwarth
- from 1760: Colonel Franz Karl von Harling
In 1776, the regiment was formed into three companies : 1st company: Leib-Corps, 2nd company: Garde-du-Corps, 3rd company: Jäger-Corps
Service during the War
The regiment did not take part in the war.
|Headgear||black tricorne laced silver with a black cockade and a white button|
|Waistcoat||yellow bordered with a silver (or white) lace|
|Breeches||yellow (or white)|
Troopers were armed with a sword, a musket and a cuirass.
The entire unit was mounted on black horses.
The field uniform of officers was as follows:
- Neck stock: black
- Coat: yellow, decorated with broad silver lace on the seams
- Collar: red, decorated with broad silver lace on the edge
- Lapels: none
- Cuffs: red, decorated with broad silver lace on the edge
- Turnbacks: none
- Waistcoat: colour unknown, decorated with broad silver lace on the edge
- Breeches: not mentioned
- Sash: silver with interwoven yellow and red thread
N. B.: until 1750, the officer’s sash was in the imperial colours: gold/black. At the beginning of the 1750´s, probably in 1752, when the Württemberg Army received the new dark blue uniforms, the sash was changed to the new Württemberg Knüpfmuster (knotted pattern): white (silver for staff officers and generals), yellow and red. Gold and red were the original Württemberg colours since 1593. So, during the Seven Years’ War, the Württemberg sash was white (resp. silver), yellow and red.
According to a report dated 1748, the regiment had 1 kettle-drummer (a Moor) and 4 trumpeters. The pair of kettle-drums was made of silver with “aprons made of yellow silk, expensively embroidered with gold and silver and draped with sleeves.” The trumpets were also made of silver.
According to a report dated 1748, new standards were awarded to the regiment. They were made of silk and richly embroidered with gold and silver. The cords and fringe were also of gold and silver threads. On one side (probably the reverse), the centre device consisted of an arm with a sabre, emerging from clouds and surmounted by the motto "Treu und Tapfer". On the other side (probably the obverse), the centre device consisted of the arms of Württemberg surrounded with trophies of arms. No field colour is mentioned but the Leibstandarte should be white and the Eskadronstandarten probably red.
According to the Militaerplan of 1758, the regiment had no cornet but had 1 Fahnenschmied.
- Stadlinger, L., J. von, Geschichte des Württembergischen Kriegswesens – von der frühesten bis zur neuesten Zeit, Stuttgart, 1856
- Zahn, Michael, Die Herzoglich Württembergische Armee im Siebenjährigen Krieg, Manuskript, Stuttgart: January 2008
Koch, Arwed Ulrich: Der modische Wandel der Uniform im 18.Jahrhundert. Reich und Württemberg. (Offiziersportraits 1730 bis 1790), in: Zeitschrift für Heereskunde, vol. LI (1987) no. 331, page 66-72; no. 334, page 152-159
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.
Volker Scholz for the info on officers, musicians and standards