Origin and History
The ship was built by John Lock at the Chatham dockyard and launched on February 25 1758.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from March 1758 to February 9 1759: captain Francis Geary
- from February 9 1759 to 1763: captain Robert Jocelyn
The ship was broken up in May 1789.
Service during the War
On April 14 1759, the ship was among the reinforcements sent to the East Indies under rear-admiral Samuel Cornish. They consisted of 3 ships of the line: the Lenox (74), Cornish's flagship; the Duc d'Aquitaine (64); and the York (60); along with the Falmouth (50) and 3 East Indiamen. On October 17 1759, on his way to Bombay, vice-admiral George Pocock was joined by these reinforcements.
In September 1762, the ship took part in the expedition against Manila.
To do: more details on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||165 ft 6 in (50.44 m)|
|Width||46 ft 6 in (14.17 m)|
|Depth||19 ft 9 in (6.02 m)|
|Displacement||1579 tons (1604 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, HBMS Lennox (1758), 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.