Origin and History
This Swiss regiment was raised on March 1 1752 in the Canton of Zurich.
The regiment counted two battalions and had prévôté (provostship).
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 117th and was under the command of:
- from March 1 1752 to 1777: Baron de Lochmann
Service during the War
By August 1 1757, the regiment was in Germany with the army of the Weser. At the end of the year, its first battalion took its winter-quarters in Wesel while its second battalion went to Geldern, two towns of the Lower Rhine in the fourth line of the French Army.
In 1758, during the Allied winter offensive in West Germany, the regiment joined the rest of the French Army assembling in this area. From March 30 to April 4, it was in the second line of Clermont's Army in the camp of Wesel on the Lower Rhine. In April, when Clermont redeployed his army along the Rhine, the regiment was stationed in small towns around Xanten: Ober-Mömter, Nieder-Mömter, Warth, Haus Balken and Lütteringen. On May 31, after the successful crossing of the Rhine by the Allied Army led Ferdinand of Brunswick, the regiment did not join Clermont's Army at Rheinberg but was rather deployed at an unspecified location. On June 23, the regiment took part in the Battle of Krefeld where it was placed on the left wing of the second line under Saint-Germain whose division bore the brunt of the Allied attack when it tried to stop an outflanking manoeuvre. It defended the woods along the Niers River during 3 hours, repulsing 3 attacks before retiring in front of superior forces, after having sustained heavy casualties. By August 20, the regiment was operating as part of an independant detachment with Reding Infanterie and Jenner Infanterie under La Chenelars.
At the end of May 1759, when the French Army of the Rhine launched its offensive in West Germany, the regiment remained on the Rhine as part of the Corps of the Marquis d'Armentières. By October 25, still attached to d'Armentières' Corps, one battalion of the regiment was at the main camp at Bochum.
On July 31, the regiment took part in the Battle of Warburg.
In 1761 and 1762, the regiment took part in the campaigns in West Germany.
On September 21 1762, the grenadiers and chasseurs of the regiment took part in the Combat of Amöneburg.
To do: details of the campaigns from 1759 to 1762
|Coat||red lined blue with white buttons down to the waist on both sides
|Waistcoat||blue laced white with white buttons on the right side and white laced buttonholes on both sides; horizontal pockets edged white with white buttons and white laced buttonholes|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
Colonel colour: white field decorated with a white cross; golden fleurs de lys sown across the entire flag.
Ordonnance colours: white cross; each canton consisted of 7 flames: yellow, black, yellow, black, yellow, black, yellow.
Bunel, Arnaud: Vexillologie militaire européenne] - Régiment de Vigier (Suisse)
Menguy, Patrice: Les Sujets du Bien Aimé (a website who has unfortunately disappeared from the web)
Mouillard, Lucien: Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris, 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V.: Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891, p. 202
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Service historique de l'armée de terre: Archives du génie, article 15, section 1, §5, pièce 23
Taccoli, Alfonso: Teatro Militare dell' Europa, Part 1, vol. 2; Madrid, March 1760
Vial J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.