Origin and History
The frigate was built in Deptford Dockyard by John Holland and launched on December 10 1748. She had a round bow, a lion figurehead, three-light quarter galleries and six pairs of quarterdeck gunports.
In May 1749, the frigate sailed for the Mediterranean.
From December 1750 to March 1751, the frigate was fitted out at Portsmouth Dockyard. She then transported the new British ambassador to Tripoli.
From February to March 1754, the frigate was once more fitted out at Portsmouth Dockyard.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- from April 1755 : Captain Edward Vernon
- from March 1758: Captain James Baker
- from January 1760 to October 18 1760: Captain Edward Vernon
The frigate was wrecked on October 18 1760.
Service during the War
On September 4 1755, while serving with the Western Squadron based in Plymouth, the frigate sent back the Nostra Signora de Fontaine taken on her way from Dunkerque to Catte and the San Pedro a Polucca captured while sailing from Dunkerque to Marseilles.
On February 29 1756, the frigate captured the privateer Revanche. On May 17, an indecisive action was fought between the Colchester (50) and Lyme (28), and the French ships Aquilon (42), and Fidèle (24). The French ships were standing in for Rochefort in charge of a convoy, when, quite near the forts, they were sighted by the British and chased. The convoy was ordered to make the best of its way, and the men-of-war gave battle to cover its retreat. The ships paired off, the Colchester engaging the Aquilon, while the frigates fought it out together; but so equal were the forces on both sides, that, when they parted by mutual consent, and with heavy loss, no definite result had been arrived at as the outcome of seven hours' hard pounding. On December 2, the frigate captured the privateer Lis.
On February 28 1757, the frigate captured the vessel Entreprenante. On April 14, she sailed for the Mediterranean.
In 1758, the frigate served in the Mediterranean.
In May 1759, during the naval operations in the Mediterranean, the frigate was part of Boscawen, Edward|Admiral Edward Boscawen]]'s squadron who blockaded Toulon to prevent a French squadron from leaving without being detected and followed. At the beginning of July, Boscawen was compelled to go to Gibraltar for provisions and repairs. On August 4, Boscawen finally reached Gibraltar. Meanwhile he ordered the Lyme (28) to cruise off Malaga. On August 18, the frigate was at the victorious Battle of Lagos.
From May to August 1760, the frigate was fitted out at Chatham Dockyard before sailing for the Baltic. On October 18, she was wrecked off the Baltic coast of Sweden .
|Guns||28 guns and 12 swivels
|Crew||160 men (increased to 180 men on September 22 1756 and to 200 men on November 11 1756)|
|Length at gundeck||117 ft 10 in (35.92 m)|
|Width||33 ft 10 in (10.31 m)|
|Depth||9 ft 10 in (3.00 m)|
|Displacement||596 tons BM|
This article contains texts from the following book which is now in the public domain:
- Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, p. 291
Blasco, Manuel: British 6th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Harrison, Simon: Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail
Phillips, M.: Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.