Origin and History
The sloop was designed by Sir Thomas Slade, built at Rotherhithe and launched on March 20, 1756.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from June 10 1756 to April 19, 1757: Commander John Cleland
The sloop was renamed Zephyr after her recapture in August 1757.
The sloop was retaken by the French in 1778 and burnt in 1780.
Service during the War
On April 19, 1757, the ship was endeavouring to rejoin a convoy from which she had been separated, when the the French privateer Machault (30) bore down upon her. It had been, and was still blowing hard; and the ship, as was usual with ships of her class, had her decks full of water, and had quite enough to do to look after herself. The guns were all secured fore and aft; and, save with small arms, it was impossible to make any resistance. So the ship struck. The prize did not remain long with the French, being retaken in August by the Lancaster (66) and Dunkirk (60) and renamed Zephyr.
|Length||86 ft 6 in (26.23 m)|
|Width||24 ft 5 in (7.33 m)|
|Depth||10 ft 10 in (3.05 m)|
|Displacement||223 tons BM|
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 294-295
Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco, 3 Decks
Phillip, Michael, Ships of the Old Navy