Milán Infantry

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Spanish Army >> Milán Infantry

Origin and History

The regiment originated from the Italian unit of don Marino Carrafa who, on September 14 1678, embarked on a galley squadron sailing from Melazzo for Catalonia.

In 1703, 6 other companies from the Tercio de Napolitanos Viejos de Cataluña were incorporated into the unit.

In 1704, a regiment was raised in Naples for the duke of Castel de Ayrola.

In April 1705, the mestre-de-camp don Luis Gaetano de Aragón was detached with 6 companies of his Italian Tercio to Barcelona, forming, with the regiment of the duke of Castel de Ayrola, part of the garrison of the place till February 1706 during its blockade by the Catalan rebels who were supported by the duc de Noailles. In August of the same year, the various unit forming the garrison of Barcelona, who had severely suffered during the siege, were sent to Roussillon to recover. There, they were incorporated into the regiment of the duke of Castel de Ayrola.

On January 1 1719, the king gave the regiment to don Francisco de Eboli. The decree transferring the unit to don Francisco traced its lineage as far back as 1678.

In 1729, a conflict arose among the three Italian regiments in the Spanish service about their respective seniority. On September 20 1729, the colonel of the regiment, don Lofredo Gaetano, deposited a memorandum to the War Council to prove the seniority of his regiment, pretending that it dated as far back as September 14 1678. The Council asked for further proofs. Gaetano then presented a certificate issued by lieutenant-general don Domingo Recco on March 16 1723 where the role of the regiment during the blockade of Barcelona in 1705-1706 was confirmed.

In 1731, the regiment was increased to two battalions, its second battalion consisting of the former regiment of Palermo initially raised in 1718 in Sicily for colonel don Juan Bautista Gravina.

During the War of the Austrian Succession, in 1745, the regiment joined the army of the Infant Don Filippo. It then counted 2 battalions for a total of 1,400 men. On November 23, 1746, the regiment formed part of the garrison of Tortona who surrendered under the condition that it could leave the town freely, provided that it would not serve for an entire year and would return to Spain. On June 6 1748, the regiment left Spain but, on reaching the port of Villafranca, the 2nd battalion was sent back to Spain.

By 1749, the regiment counted 2 battalions for a total of 1,060 men.

During its existence, the regiment was under the command of:

  • from 1706: duke of Castel de Ayrola
  • from January 1 1719: don Francisco de Eboli
  • at least in 1729: don Lofredo Gaetano
  • from 1743: colonel count Borromeo
  • from 1746: count Bolognini
  • from 1768 to 1769: Don Joseph Filomarino

In 1792, the regiment was disbanded and its troops incorporated into Nápoles Infantry.

Service during the War

No information available yet about the service of the regiment during the Seven Years' War



Uniform in 1759 - Source: Ibrahim90
Uniform Details as per
the Album de Taccoli of 1759
Musketeer black tricorne laced white with a black cockade fastened with a white button
Grenadier black bearskins probably with a blue flame
Neckstock white
Coat white with white buttons on the right side under the lapel
Collar none
Shoulder Straps none
Lapels blue with white buttons
Pockets pockets with white buttons
Cuffs blue with 3 white buttons
Turnbacks white
Waistcoat white with white buttons
Breeches white
Gaiters white
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather
Cartridge Box natural leather
Bayonet Scabbard black
Scabbard brown

Armaments consisted of a musket, a bayonet and a sword (brass hilt).


The colonel, lieutenant-colonel, sargentos mayores and officers carried a spontoon and an officer stick. They used to hang this stick at the second button of the coat. The type of handle of the officer stick was different for each rank:

  • gold for the colonel
  • silver for the lieutenant-colonel
  • silver (but only one finger wide) for the Sargento Mayor and the captains
  • ivory for assistants, lieutenants and for the chaplain
  • wooden with a silver ring for sub-lieutenants

Sergeants carried a halberd instead of a spontoon. Furthemore, their officer stick had no handle.


no information available yet


The coronela (colonel flag) of the regiment was white with a red Burgundian cross terminated in each corner by a medallion carrying the arms of Milan (a green snake wearing a gold crown and eating a man) surmounted by a golden crown. In the middle: the arms of Charles III surrounded by the necklace of the order of the Toison de Oro (Golden Fleece).

The batallonas (ordonnance flags) of the regiment were white with a red Burgundian cross terminated in each corner by a medallion carrying the arms of Milan (a green snake wearing a gold crown and eating a man) surmounted by a golden crown.


Album de Taccoli, 1759

Samaniego, Dissertacion sobre la antiguedad de los regimientos


Juan José Torres and the Asociación Cultural de Modelismo Histórico Alabarda, G. Boeri and Luc Antonelli for the information and counseling provided for this article.