Origin and History
The regiment consisted of 2 battalions. Each of these battalions counted 4 fusilier companies (140 men each) and 1 grenadier company (100 men). Furthermore, each battalion had 2 light 4-pdrs battalion guns.
From September 1752 to June 20 1756, the regiment garrisoned the towns of Donauwörth and Ingolstadt. Its staff being stationned in the latter town.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment inhaber was:
- since November 5 1734: Generalwachtmeister Heinrich Theodor baron Topor von Morawitzky
- from 1762 to March 17 1770: Generalfeldzeugmeister Heinrich Theodor count Topor von Morawitzky auf Trenczin und Rudnitz
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since 1734: colonel Antonio Maria Marchese Gravisi di Pietra-Pelosa
- from 1759 to 1771: colonel Johann Babtist von Herbst
On September 29 1764, the regiment was transferred to Neuötting and Burghausen to assume garrison duty.
Service during the War
On June 20 1756, the regiment was transferred to Munich where it assumed garrison duty.
In April 1757, the first battalion of the regiment was assigned to the Auxiliary Corps which was being assembled to serve with the Austrian Army on the basis of a subsidy contract settled with France on March 29. In July, the regiment recruited at Landshut. In August, its second battalion also joined this Auxiliary Corps which was assigned to the Austrian corps under the command of count Nádasdy. In October, the regiment took part to the siege and capture of Schweidnitz. On November 22, both battalions were at the battle of Breslau where they formed part of the corps of count Seyssel d’Aix on the right wing of the second line. A few weeks later, on December 5 at the battle of Leuthen, the regiment was part of Nádasdy's corps on the left wing. It was deployed on the extreme right of the second line near Minucci Infantry. It shared the fate of the left wing, being routed by the Prussian troops who attacked its flank.
In April 1758, each Bavarian regiment contributed 1 company of fusiliers and 1 company of grenadiers to a converged regiment placed under the command of colonel de la Rosée. During the siege of Olmütz, this converged regiment distinguished itself against the Prussian besiegers but it lost more than 100 men in these combats. In May, the regiment recruited at Straubing. In July, the various companies forming the converged regiment who had served at Olmütz rejoined their respective units. In August, the Morawitzky regiment took part to the siege of Neisse. During the withdrawal of the Austrian army, it formed part of the rearguard which was surprised by a sally of the Prussian. The regiment lost 293 men in this action.
In January 1759, the regiment returned to Braunau, its garrison place. In June, it was transferred to Ingolstadt. The regiment then remained in Bavaria till the end of the war.
|Coat||Austrian style blue coat with 3 white buttons under the lapel and 1 white button in the small of the back
|Waistcoat||yellow with white buttons|
Shirmer mentions white buttons, blue breeches and white as the distinctive colour of the regiment. Herbert Knötel illustrates a similar uniform.
Staudinger mentions white buttons, white or straw breeches and dark red as the distinctive colour.
Gillardon mentions sky blue breeches, dark red waistcoat and dark red as the distinctive colour.
The officers were distinguished by a gold lace on the tricorne which was also decorated with a black cockade fastened with a silver lace, and a silver gorget decorated with golden arms of Bavaria.
Drummers wore the uniform of the troopers with the following distinctions:
- white/blue woollen chevrons on the sleeves
- white/blue laced swallow nest at the shoulders
- white/blue laced cuffs
White bandolier edged white/blue.
The white drum barrel was decorated with blue flames and with the arms of Bavaria. The hoops were decorated with white and blue stripes.
Bavarian regiments carried 2 colours per battalion. The first battalion of each regiment carried the Leibfahne and a Kompaniefahne while other battalions carried two Kompaniefahne.
N.B.: From ca. 1748, the Inhaber of the regiments had the possibility to influence the design of the Leibfahne after their wish, using individual images of the Madonna.
Boehm, E.; Rottgardt, D., Die Reichsarmee 1757-63. I. Teil: Zusammensetzung und Organisation, KLIO-Arbeitsgruppe 7jähriger Krieg, Friderzianische Epoche, Manuskript, o.J
Boehm, E.; Rottgardt, D.; Weirich, W.-D., Die Reichsarmee 1757-63. II. Teil: Die einzelnen Einheiten, ihre Stärke, Zusammensetzung, Uniform und Feldzeichen, KLIO-Arbeitsgruppe 7jähriger Krieg, Friderzianische Epoche, Manuskript, o.J.
Funken, Liliane and Fred, Historische Uniformen, Vol. 2
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Staudinger, Karl, Geschichte des kurbayerischen Heeres unter Kurfürst Karl Albrecht - Kaiser Karl VII. - und Max III. Joseph 1726 - 1777, (Geschichte des bayerischen Heeres 3), J. Lindauer, Munich, 1909
rf-figuren for the initial version of this article