Moskva (66) 1750
Origin and History
The ship was built by A. Sutherland (А. Сютерланд) at the Solombalskaya dockyard in Archangelsk. The keel was laid down on September 4 1749 (August 24 old style, abbreviated O.S. in this article). She was launched on April 30 1750 (April 19 O.S.). She was attached to the Fleet of the Baltic Sea.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in 1756 and 1757: Captain G. Krivskoy (Г. Кривской)
- in 1758: Captain I. Golenishev-Kutuzov (И. Голенищев-Кутузов)
The ship was wrecked in the Baltic in October 1758.
Service during the War
On May 10 1757 (April 29 O.S.), the ship, as part of squadron under Counter-Admiral V. F. Lewis (В.Ф. Люис) left Revel to blockade the Prussian coasts. From June 4 (May 24 O.S.) to June 29 (June 18 O.S.), she cruised between Memel and Cape Brüster Ort. On July 15 (July 4 O.S.), she joined the fleet in Danzig. On August 19 (August 8 O.S.), the ship started cruising along the Prussian coasts as part of a squadron under Admiral V. A. Myatlev (В.А. Мятлев). On August 23 (August 12 O.S.), due to leakage, she had to leave the squadron and sail to Revel and then to Kronshtadt.
On July 13 1758 (July 2 O.S.), the ship sailed from Kronshtadt with a squadron charged to cruise in the Baltic. From July 20 (July 9 O.S.) to September 8 (August 28 O.S.), she was part of the Russo-Swedish fleet who cruised at the entry of the Baltic between Danish Zealand and the Swedish coasts to prevent any intervention of the British Navy. On September 8 (August 28 O.S.), she sailed to Kronshtadt with the squadron. Due to damage at her fore-mast she had to leave the squadron and return to Danzig. During the journey the main-mast was damaged and the ship suffered from strong leakage. Her captain decided to turn towards the Russian coasts. On October 7 (September 26 O.S.), the ship was washed ashore near Libau. After hitting the ground her mizzen-mast, bowsprit and helm were broken. The crew left the ship and by October 12 (October 1 O.S.) she was completely wrecked. During this accident, 1 officer and 97 sailors were lost while 349 managed to survive.
The design of most Russian ships of the line of this period still adhered tightly to the Shipbuilding Regulations issued by Peter the Great in 1723.
|Crew||no information found|
|Length at gun deck||47.40 m (155' 6”)|
|Width||12.65 m (41' 6”)|
|Depth in Hold||5.49 m (18'0”)|
|Displacement||approx. 1,200 metric tons|
Ministry of the Sea - Material for the History of the Russian Navy, vol 10, St. Petersburg, 1883 in a collection of 17 volumes published from 1865 to 1904
Veselago, Fedosey Fedorovich: List of Russian Naval Vessels from 1668 to 1869, St. Petersburg: Ministry of the Sea, 1872
Chernyshev, A. A.: Russian Sailing Fleet, Vol. 1
Shirokorad, A. B.: 200 лет парусного флота (200 years of Sailing Fleet)
Roman Shlygin for the initial version of this article