Origin and History
no information available yet
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- no information available yet
Service during the War
In 1756, at the beginning of the war, the regiment was initially stationed on the western frontier until the Autumn of 1756 and then in Smolensk.
In 1757, the regiment took part in the campaign in East Prussia under General Count Apraxin. On August 30, at the Battle of Gross-Jägersdorf, it was part of Morbvinov's Brigade belonging to the rearguard. When the army deployed, it was placed in the first line of the cavalry right wing.
In January 1758, the regiment took part in the Russian invasion of East Prussia. In July of the same year, it also took part in the invasion of Brandenburg. On September 11, during the retreat of the army after the Battle of Zorndorf, the regiment was part of Rumyantsev's Corps who made a junction with the main army at Landsberg and encamped on the left bank of the Wartha. About mid-November, the regiment took its winter-quarters in Rhein (present-day Ryn) and Nikolaiken (present-day Mikolajki) as part of Rumyantsev's 3rd Division.
On July 23 1759, 1 squadron of the the regiment took part in the Battle of Paltzig where it was deployed to link the second line of the right wing with the infantry centre.
To do: campaigns from 1760
During summer, Russian dragoons did not wear coats. These were left in the baggage. For this reason, we present two different plates.
Troopers were armed with a short carbine, two pistols and a sabre.
Corporals wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers.
Other NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers with the following distinctions:
- gold laced tricorne
- gold laced collar
- gold laced cuffs:
- 1 stripe for Unterfähnrich
- 2 stripes for armourers and quartermasters
- 3 stripes for sergeant
Officers wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers with the following distinctions:
- gold laced tricorne
- gilt buttons
- no turnbacks
- black and gold silken sash
- cornflower blue saddlecloth and housings laced gold carrying the imperial cipher
Musicians wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers with the following distinctions:
- swallow nests at the shoulders
The kettle-drum and the trumpets were made of copper. The banners were of the colour of the squadron standards. The banner of the kettle-drum was embroidered and fringed in gold.
Dragoons still carried standards of the 1731 pattern, measuring 123 cm by 142 cm (some sources indicate square 150 cm by 150 cm standards). The flagpole had a gilt finial.
Colonel Standard: white field fringed in gold; centre device: an Imperial Eagle, crowned double-headed, bearing the regimental arms on a breastplate encircled by the necklace of the St. George’s Order and the cross of St. Andrew.
Ordonnance Standard: light blue field fringed in gold; centre device: a red and gold crown surmounting a gold shield bearing the regimental arms.
The first squadron carried the white colonel (Leib) standard while the 4 other squadrons each carried one ordonnance (Regimental) standard.
Großer Generalstab, Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II (Publisher). Die Kriege Friedrichs des Großen, Part 3: Der Siebenjährige Krieg 1756–1763. Vol. 4 Groß-Jägersdorf und Breslau, Berlin 1902
- chapter A: Das Kaiserlich Russiche Heer, page 1-46
- appendix: supplement 1, Das Kaiserlich Russiche Heer, page 3-18
Konstam, Angus, and Bill Younghusband: Russian Army of the Seven Years War, vol. 2, Osprey Military, London, Reed International, 1996
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, published by the KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, Neuauflage 1989
Viskovatov, A. V.: Historical Description of the Clothing and Arms of the Russian Army, vol. 3, Petersburg: 1900
Volker Ziegler, Brühl: Die Russische Kavallerie zur Zeit des Siebenjährigen Krieges (1756-1763)
Zweguintzov: L'Armee Russe, 1973
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.