Origin and History
The squadron was initially raised in 1685 for Colonel Otto Rudolf Rau zu Holzhausen. It then successively belonged to Herrmann Wilhelm von Spiegel zu Diesenberg (1685), Johann Ernst Count von Nassau-Weilburg (1686) and Colonel Anton Otto von Closs (1713) before being disbanded for the first time.
This squadron was re-established in 1754 as the Kurpfalz Dragoner with 3 companies taken from the Leib-Dragoner. It counted 174 men.
During the Seven Years' War, the chef of the squadron was the Pfalzgraf (Count Palatine) Friedrich Michael von Zweibrücken
During the Seven Years' War, its commanders were:
- from 1757: colonel count von Wittgenstein
The squadron was finally disbanded in 1770.
Service during the War
At the outbreak of the war in 1756, the regiment was garrisoning Ladenburg.
In 1757, the squadron was combined with the II./Prinz Friedrich Cavalry and III./Prinz Friedrich Cavalry to form the so called Kurpfalz Cuirassiers (aka von Hatzfeld Carabiniers). This regiment joined the Reichsarmee operating in Thuringia. In August, this army combined with a French contingent under the Prince de Soubise to form the Franco-Imperial army who proceeded to the invasion of Saxony. Soubise rated the various units of the Reichsarmee and considered the von Hatzfeld Carabiniers as "mediocre". On November 5, the regiment fought at the Battle of Rossbach where it deployed in the first line of the right wing under the Prince von Hohenzollern. The regiment suffered heavy losses during this battle.
The first company wore red instead of white coats.
|Headgear||black tricorne without lace with blue within white pompoms and a black cockade|
|Coat||white coat lined light blue with 12 pewter buttons on the right and 12 buttonholes on the left, 1 pewter button on each side in the small of the back
|Waistcoat||straw without buttons|
Troopers were armed with a straight bladed sabre (brass hilt), a carbine and 2 pistols.
The uniforms of this squadron (date unspecified) kept in the collection of Ludwig IX of Hessen-Darmstadt show the following differences:
- yellow buttons
- blue lapels with 10 buttons (1-3-3-3)
- light blue waistcoat
- light blue breeches
The officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:
- silver laced tricorne
- silver buttons and epaulettes
- blue waistcoat with silver buttons
- white and blue striped sash (silver and blue for staff officers)
- white and blue sword frog (silver and blue for staff officers)
- black cane
The kettle-drummers of the squadron wore the same uniform as the privates with the following exceptions:
- a white, light blue and yellow lace on the seams and pockets
- collar and cuffs edged with the same lace
- light blue swallow nest edged and decorated with the same lace
- 7 chevrons of the same lace on each sleeve
- light blue waistcoat and breeches
Light blue kettle-drum banners embroidered in gold and silver and decorated with cords and tassels of mixed silver and dark blue
no information available yet
Bezel, Oskar; Geschichte des Kurpfälzischen Heeres ..., Bayrisches Kriegsarchiv, München, 1925
Pengel, R.D. And G. R. Hurt; Bavaria, Saxony & the Palatinate Supplement: Uniforms and Flags of the Senen Years War, Hopewell: On Military Matters, 1981, pp. 48-50
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.
rf-figuren for the initial version of this article.