Origin and History
The regiment was raised on August 20 1715.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since January 12 1758 to January 1776: colonel Dom José Pedro da Câmara
Service during the War
During the campaign of 1762, the regiment was attached to the main Anglo-Portuguese army where its 3 troops were deployed in the first line of cavalry of the right wing.
From various orders of materials for the uniforms, it seems certain that the uniform of the regiment had both red, yellow and some white cloth (more red than yellow) and that the lining was red. In that context the coat, breeches, cuffs, etc., could have been red or yellow.
The exact pattern of the Portuguese colonel colours during the Seven Years' War is unknown.
The ordonnance colours were chosen by the colonel of the regiment. For the moment, we have found no source depicting specific colours for this regiment.
Amaral, Manuel, O Exértico Português em finais do Antiguo Regime
Kirby, Mike, The Portuguese Army - Seven Years War, Seven Years War Association Journal, Vol. XII No. 3
Pereira Sales, Ernesto Augusto; O Conde de Lippe em Portugal, Vila Nova de Famalicao: Publicacoes da Comissao de Historia Militar, 1936
Ribeiro Rodrigues, Manuel A.; 300 Anos de Uniformes Militares do Exército de Portugal 1660-1960, Exército Portugués and Sociedade Historica da Independéncia de Portugal, 1998
Manuel Ribeiro Rodrigues and Joseph O'Neill for the information and counselling provided for this article.