Origin and History
The ship was a fifth rate frigate built at Limehouse in 1759.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- 1759: captain Christopher Codrington Bethell
The frigate foundered in 1780.
Service during the War
In the summer and autumn of 1759, the frigate was part of commodore William Boys' squadron blockading the French squadron of Thurot at Dunkerque. In October, Boys' squadron was driven from his station by a gale. On October 15 at 5:00 PM, Thurot seized the opportunity, slipped out through a thick fog and made to the northward. Boys followed as soon as possible but was not able to overtake Thurot. Ultimately, Boys contented himself with cruising off the coast of Scotland with the object of preventing any sudden raid there.
To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1762
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.