Origin and History
The flûte was built by Chaillé at Rochefort and launched in 1746.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- in 1759: captain Duvilliers
The flûte was burnt on May 16 1760 during an engagement with the British Navy at Cap-Rouge on the Saint-Laurent river.
Service during the War
In March 1759, the vessel, armed in flûte, joined the flotilla of privateers and merchantmen assembled under the command of Jacques Kanon to bring powder, provisions and petty reinforcement (600 recruits) to Canada. The flotilla sailed from Bordeaux on March 22 and the vessel arrived at Québec on May 22.
On April 20 1760, the flûte was part of Vauquelin's small flotilla who sailed from Sorel to escort Lévis' army in its expedition against Québec. On April 28, the flotilla reached Anse-au-Foulon while Lévis laid siege to the town. On May 9, the British relief fleet started to arrive and Lévis was forced to lift the siege. On May 16 1760, the flûte was pursued by ships of the British Navy. She ran aground at Cap-Rouge on the Saint-Laurent and her captain burned her to prevent her capture.
|Guns||18 x 6-pdrs
|Crew||no information available yet|
|Length||104 ft (31.70 m)|
|Width||26 ft 4 in (8.03 m)|
|Depth||10 ft 3 in (3.12 m)|
|Displacement||334 long tons (320 tonneaux)|
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.