Port Mahon (24)
Origin and History
The frigate was built at Deptford and launched in 1740.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from April 4 to April 8 1757: captain Alexander Campbell
- April 8 1757: captain Samuel Wallis
- February 22 1759: captain Thomas Lempriere
The frigate was sold in 1763.
Service during the War
In 1757, the frigate was part of admiral Holbourne's squadron which left Ireland on May 5 for the planned expedition against Louisbourg. By July 10, the entire squadron was finally at anchor before Halifax where it made its junction with Hardy's squadron. However on August, when the combined fleet was ready to set sail, Louisbourg had already been reinforced by three French squadron and governor Loudon canceled the whole enterprise. Holbourne's squadron stayed off Louisbourg till September 25 when it was shattered by a most terrible storm. It then returned to Great Britain in a very bad condition.
At the beginning of 1758, the frigate was part of the fleet who assembled at Portsmouth under the command of admiral Edward Boscawen for a new expedition against Louisbourg. On February 19, this fleet set sail for Halifax and finally arrived there on May 9. On May 28, the fleet sailed from Halifax and arrived in sight of Louisbourg on June 1. Throughout the siege of Louisbourg, the fleet actively supported the British army and the fortress finally surrendered on July 26.
In 1759, the frigate was ordered to the West Indies.
To do: campaigns from 1759 to 1762
N.B.: reported with 22 guns in 1757 by "Complete History"
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 202-205, 233-235
Phillip, Michael, Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.