Portuguese Artillery Equipment

From Project Seven Years War
Revision as of 05:04, 9 November 2014 by RCouture (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Portuguese Army >> Portuguese Artillery Equipment

Introduction

In 1762, at the outbreak of war with Spain, the Portuguese artillery consisted of 2 regiments (Corte and Alentejo), each fielding between 1,440 and 1,540 men. The field artillery park consisted of 47 pieces.

Field-Artillery by 1762

By August 15 1762, the field artillery park totaled 47 pieces and consisted of:

  • 19 x 6-pdr or 4-pdr guns
  • 6 x long 6-pdr guns
  • 16 x short 6-pdr guns
  • 6 x howitzers.

Of these 47 pieces, 10 were in Viseu with Townshend's corps, 6 were part of the column of the count of Santiago and 8 (2 howitzers and 6 short 6-pdrs) were with the British Auxiliary Forces.

Evolution of the field Artillery throughout the War

On August 15 1762, the park was reinforced with several guns of various calibres.

Artillery Pieces

Cannon

4-pdr Cannon

no information available yet

Short 6-pdr Cannon

no information available yet

Long 6-pdr Cannon

no information available yet

Howitzers

no information available yet

Gun Carriages

no information available yet

References

Pereira Sales, Ernesto Augusto; O Conde de Lippe em Portugal, Vila Nova de Famalicao: Publicacoes da Comissao de Historia Militar, 1936, pp. 57-58

Acknowledgments

Manuel Ribeiro Rodrigues and Joseph O'Neil for the initial version of this article.