Origin and History
The regiment consisted of 2 battalions. Each of these battalions counted 4 fusilier companies (140 men each) and 1 grenadier company (100 men). Furthermore, each battalion had 2 light 4-pdr battalion guns.
From September 1749 to October 1753, the regiment garrisoned the towns Burghausen and Wasserburg. Its staff being stationed in the latter town. In October 1753, the staff and one battalion were transferred from Wasserburg to Braunau while the other battalion remained at Burghausen. Then, on October 20 1755, the entire regiment was concentrated at Braunau.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment Inhaber was:
- since August 27 1738 to May 1768: Major-general Joseph Karl von Preysing
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since 1755 until 1768: Colonel Joseph Marquard Baron von Berndorff
In September 1764, the regiment was transferred to Neumarkt in the Oberpfalz to assume garrison duty.
Service during the War
On June 20 1756, the regiment was transferred from Braunau to Ingolstadt to assume garrison duty.
In April 1757, the first battalion of the regiment was assigned to the Auxiliary Corps which was being assembled to serve with the Austrian Army on the basis of a subsidy contract settled with France on March 29. Its second battalion remained in Bavaria where it garrisoned Ingolstadt. The first battalion was combined into a temporary regiment with with I./Kurprinz. This combined regiment joined the Auxiliary Corps which was assigned to the Austrian corps under the command of Count Nádasdy. In October, the regiment took part to the siege and capture of Schweidnitz where it withstood the bombardment of the trenches by the Prussian artillery and the sally of the Prussian grenadiers against the Austrian batteries. On November 22, the combined regiment was at the battle of Breslau where it formed part of the corps of Count Seyssel d’Aix on the right wing of the second line. A few weeks later, on December 5 at the battle of Leuthen, the combined regiment was part of Nádasdy's corps on the left wing. It was deployed at the extreme right of the first line of this corps at the point of junction with the Austrian army, between Herzog Clemenz Infantry on its left and the Austrian regiment Macquire on its right. It shared the fate of the left wing, being routed by the Prussian troops who attacked its flank.
By April 1758, it was already decided to send back the first battalion to Bavaria. Nevertheless, it contributed 1 company of fusiliers and 1 company of grenadiers to a converged regiment placed under the command of Colonel de la Rosée. During the siege of Olmütz, this converged regiment distinguished itself against the Prussian besiegers but it lost more than 100 men in these combats. In July, the various companies forming the converged regiment who had served at Olmütz rejoined their respective units. In August, I./Preysing returned to Bavaria where it was assigned to the garrison of Ingolstadt. At its arrival at Ingolstadt, the battalion counted only 90 men.
|Austrian style blue coat with 3 white buttons under the lapel and 1 white button in the small of the back
Shirmer mentions red breeches (later blue), Gilardone and H.Knötel mention blue breeches.
Drexler, Gilardone, Schleich and H.Knötel mention red waistcoat.
The uniform before the Seven Years War was perhaps with a red waistcoat and blue breeches.
The officers were distinguished by a silver lace on the tricorne which was also decorated with a black cockade fastened with a silver lace, and a silver gorget decorated with golden arms of Bavaria.
Junior officers were to carry a thin, hollow "spanish reed", with which to discipline soldiers.
Senior officers were to carry a cane that was to taper from at most the width of a thumb to at most the width of a finger.
NCO's were distinguished from the privates by the wearing of a "broadsword". On deployment, the sergeants were to carry the Kurzgewehr, whereas the corpoals carried a musket, bayonet, and cartridge pouch.
Beyond that, all NCO's carried a wooden cane for discpline, of suitable thickness for discpline, but without mauling the soldiers (infantry regulations, page 14). This was to be thinner than the cane used by officers.
Drummers wore the livery of von Preysing: yellow coat with red distinctives, red waistcoat and white breeches.
White bandolier edged white/blue.
The white drum barrel was decorated with blue flames and with the crown and arms of Bavaria. The hoops were decorated with white and blue stripes.
About the colours of the Bavarian infantry regiments , we know some models in use during the first part of the 18th century, before 1740; we know 4 models of flags which were in use between 1742 and 1745 and we also know the two models created in 1786 after the reunification of the bavarian and palatinate armies. So, between 1745 and 1786, information are unfortunately very scarce. The following descriptions represent an "educated guess" based on these few sources.
For this regiment, we know for sure that it received in 1749 the colours from the disbanded regiments Seckendorf and Hegnenberg. These flags were of the 1742-1745 pattern Type "1". However, we doubt this model of flags was still in use during the seven years war, ten years after.
If the old imperial type with yellow taffeta was no more carried during the Seven Years' War, we think the old Max Emanuel pattern could have been taken out the arsenal and carried again.
During the 1750s most Bavarian line infantry units adopted a new set of colours.
For more details on the various patterns of Bavarian colours used during this period, please refer to our article on the Bavarian Line Infantry Colours.
N.B.: From circa 1748, the Inhaber of the regiments had the possibility to influence the design of the Leibfahne after their wish, using individual images of the Madonna.
Boehm, E.; Rottgardt, D., Die Reichsarmee 1757-63. I. Teil: Zusammensetzung und Organisation, KLIO-Arbeitsgruppe 7jähriger Krieg, Friderzianische Epoche, Manuskript, o.J
Boehm, E.; Rottgardt, D.; Weirich, W.-D., Die Reichsarmee 1757-63. II. Teil: Die einzelnen Einheiten, ihre Stärke, Zusammensetzung, Uniform und Feldzeichen, KLIO-Arbeitsgruppe 7jähriger Krieg, Friderzianische Epoche, Manuskript, o.J.
Funken, Liliane and Fred, Historische Uniformen, Vol. 2
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Staudinger, Karl, Geschichte des kurbayerischen Heeres unter Kurfürst Karl Albrecht - Kaiser Karl VII. - und Max III. Joseph 1726 - 1777, (Geschichte des bayerischen Heeres 3), J. Lindauer, Munich, 1909
rf-figuren for the initial version of this article