Princess Amelia (80)

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> Princess Amelia (80)

Origin and History

The ship was built at Woolwich and launched in 1757.

During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:

  • in April 1757: captain William Gordon
  • in 1759: captain John Bray

The ship was retired from service in 1788.

Service during the War

In August 1757, the newly launched ship joined the fleet assembling at Spithead under the command of sir Edward Hawke. On this occasion, she was the flagship of rear-admiral Broderick. On September 8, the fleet sailed. It escorted 45 transports carrying more then 7,000 foot for an expedition against an undisclosed French port of the Atlantic coast. The raid was finally intended against Rochefort but failed lamentably. On October 6, the expeditionary force, returned home with no tangible results.

At the beginning of 1758, the ship was part of the fleet who assembled at Portsmouth under the command of admiral Edward Boscawen for the expedition against Louisbourg. On February 19, this fleet set sail for Halifax and finally arrived there on May 9. On May 28, the fleet sailed from Halifax and arrived in sight of Louisbourg on June 1. Throughout the siege of Louisbourg, the fleet actively supported the British army and the fortress finally surrendered on July 26.

On February 17 1759, the ship sailed from Spithead in Great Britain as part of the fleet destined for the expedition against Québec. She was the flagship of rear-admiral Philip Durell. The voyage was long and tedious. On April 21, when the fleet finally reached Louisbourg, it was to find the harbour blocked with ice, so that the fleet made for Halifax instead. On May 5, Durell was detached from Halifax to the mouth of the Saint-Laurent with 10 ships to intercept the French flotilla of Kanon, expected with supplies from France. However, Durell arrived too late to do so, catching but 3 stragglers that had lagged behind the rest. On May 23, Durell's squadron got up in the Saint-Laurent river as far as Isle Bic. On May 25, it reached Isle-aux-Coudres. On June 9, part of Durell's squadron reached Isle-d'Orléans and sent boats to reconnoitre the passage along this island, before returning to Isle-aux-Coudres a few days later. On June 14, 6 or 7 vessels of Durell's squadron sailed the southern passage along Isle-d'Orléans up to Saint-François. On June 23, Saunders' fleet made a junction with Durell's squadron at Isles-aux-Coudres. On June 26, the whole British fleet of vice-admiral Saunders was anchored safely off the southern shore of Isle-d'Orléans, a few km below Québec without loosing a single ship. The town finally surrendered on September 18. At the end of October, vice-admiral Saunders fired his farewell salute and dropped down the Saint-Laurent river with his fleet on his way to Great Britain.

To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1763


Technical specifications
Guns 80
1st deck ???
2nd deck ???
3rd deck ???
Crew ???
Length ???
Width ???
Depth ???
Displacement ???


Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 227-232

Blasco, Manuel, British 3rd Rates, 3 Decks Wiki

Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, p. 171-172

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.