Difference between revisions of "Prinz Friedrich August Infantry"
|Line 123:||Line 123:|
'''Leibfahne''': white field
'''Leibfahne''': white field wearing the Polish arms gold and a yellow border.
'''Ordinarfahne''': yellow field
'''Ordinarfahne''': yellow field ARon a pedestal by a and by a .
|[[File:Prinz Friedrich August Infantry Colonel Flag.jpg|frame|Leibfahne - Source:
|[[File:Prinz Friedrich August Infantry Colonel Flag.jpg|frame|Leibfahne - Source: ]]
||[[File:Prinz Friedrich August Infantry Ordonnance Flag.jpg|frame|
||[[File:Prinz Friedrich August Infantry Ordonnance Flag.jpg|frame|- Source: ]]
Latest revision as of 15:14, 3 December 2019
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1701 by count Beuchling. In 1705/06, it was augmented by incorporating a battalion of French and another of the Dresden garrison. Till 1717 it participated in the campaigns in Poland, Brabant and Pommerania.
During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment served in Poland in 1734 and 1735.
From 1737 to 1739, the regiment was stationed in Hungary.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment took part in the campaigns of 1741, 1742, 1744 and 1745 in Bohemia, Moravia and Saxony. In 1748, it was augmented by 4 coys of the disbanded Bellegarde regiment. After the war, in 1749, 4 of its companies were disbanded.
In 1756, the regiment became prisoner at Pirna and turned over into Prussian service as major-general von Loen's regiment. The regiment soon deserted and marched to Poland. It then joined the Saxon army assembling in Hungary and entered into the French service till 1763.
After the treaty of Hubertusburg, the regiment reformed in 3 battalions or 14 coys. In 1778, it was reduced to 2 battalions in 10 coys.
Seven Years' War Organisation
In 1756, the État mentions 2 battalions with 10 coys of musketeers and 2 coys of grenadiers. Each musketeer coy counted 95 men, grenadier coy 97 men, regimental staff amounted to 17 men. The regiment totaled some 1,160 men.
In 1757, the reformed regiment consisted of 2 battalions with 8 coys plus 1 coy grenadiers.
Chef of the regiment:
- 1751: Prinz Friedrich August von Sachsen
- October 1763: renamed Kurprinz
- December 1763: renamed Kurfürst
- 1764: Colonel Maximilian Prinz von Sachsen
Kommandeur of the regiment:
- 1752: Major-General von Pirch
- from 1757 to 1764: Colonel von Bork
Service during the War
At the end of August 1756, when Frederick II proceeded to the invasion of Saxony, the regiment retired to Pirna with the rest of the Saxon army. At Pirna, the regiment was deployed on the left wing under von Harthausen, as part of von Gersdorf's Brigade. The Prussians blockaded the Saxon army in Pirna from September 9 until October 15 when the Saxons finally had to surrender. The regiment was then forcefully incorporated into the Prussian Army as Loen Fusiliers.
In 1757, the entire regiment absconded from the Prussian service. Led by sergeant Seher, the 1st battalion left the camp of Lübben on March 28, the 2nd battalion, commanded by sergeant Richter of the Königin regiment, departed from Guben on March 29. Both directed their escape to Meiseritz in Poland. Arriving there, both sergeants were instantly promoted to the rank of captain. The regiment marched to Hungary to join the other Saxon troops gathering there. Since these days, it beats the Grenadiermarsch. The newly reformed regiment was then incorporated into the Saxon Auxiliary Contingent.
In 1758, to avoid further contact with the Prussians, the contingent marched through southern Germany and had, by July, assembled in Strasbourg. On September 3, the regiment was part of the Saxon contingent, under the command of prince Xaver, who encamped at Castrop, 15 km from Recklinghausen, on his way to make a junction with the French army of the Marquis de Contades in Westphalia. This contingent made a junction with Contades' army around mid September. As part of Chevert's and Fitzjames' divisions, it reinforced the army of the Prince de Soubise in Hesse. On October 10, the contingent first saw action at the battle of Lutterberg where its determined attacks decided the day for the French army. On October 20, 10 days after their victorious action at the battle of Lutterberg, the Saxon regiments rejoined Contades at Werl.
On April 13 1759, the regiment took part in the battle of Bergen where it formed part of the first line of the left wing under the command of the baron de Dyherrn. In June, during the French offensive in West Germany, the regiment was part of the main army under the command of the Marquis de Contades where it was deployed in the second line of the infantry centre. On August 1, the regiment took part in the battle of Minden where it was deployed in the second line of the infantry left wing under the command of the comte de Lusace.
To do: description of the actions of the regiment from 1760 to 1763.
Besides the uniform worn at the beginning of the war in 1756 and after the capitulation of Pirna, the new regiments were re-dressed with white uniforms from Austrian depots, just adapting the distinctive colors. Because of the difference between Autrian and Saxon color pigments, the distinctive colors have perhaps changed a little bit (light yellow instead of yellow ?).
|Coat||white with a brass button in the small of the back, 6 (3+2+1) brass buttons on the chest, 3 brass buttons at waist level (right side only)
|Waistcoat||yellow with horizontal pockets with 3 brass buttons and lapels with brass buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a sword.
Officers and NCOs wore a black tricorne laced gold with a white cockade.
From 1761, officers of the grenadier companies wore black fur bearskin (Austrian style) with a gilt plate with the electoral crest; falling from the rear of the bearskin were golden cords and tassels while NCOs of grenadier companies wore bearskins identical to those of the grenadiers.
Officers wore yellow breeches.
The drummers of the regiment wore uniforms with reverse colours:
- yellow coat heavily decorated with yellow braids on the sleeves (chevrons), swallow nests, buttonholes and pockets
- white collar, white cuffs edged yellow, white turnbacks
- brass buttons
- yellow waistcoat with brass buttons
- white breeches
- black gaiters
Leibfahne: white field wearing the Saxon-Polish coat of arms surrounded by rich gold and red embroideries with a yellow border.
Ordinarfahne: yellow field with rich gold and red embroideries wearing a gold AR cipher on a stone pedestal surrounded by a green wreath and surmounted by a red and gold crown.
Geschichte des Koeniglische Saechsische 6. Infanterie-Regiments No 105, Leipzig, 1887. p. 418
Origin and History: editors translation from "Geschichte und gegenwärtiger Zustand der Kursächsischen Armee." [History and present state of the Saxon Army.] 2nd edition, part IX, Dresden 1793.
Rogge, Christian, The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.