Prinz Friedrich Cavalry
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1689 for Johann Friedrich Baron von Franckenberg. It the successively belonged to Georg Adolf von Nagel (1693), Philipp Bertram Baron von Hochkirch (1696), Count Edmund Florens Cornelius von Hatzfeld (1703), Foleville (1714), Count Max Emanuel von Thurn und Taxis (1730), Count Granville Elliot von Morhange (1742) and Prinz Karl August von Pfalz-Zweibrücken (1748).
In 1751, the regiment became the property of Count Palatine Friedrich Michael von Zweibrücken.
By the time of the Seven Years' War, the regiment counted 3 squadrons, each consisting of 3 companies for a total of 478 men in 9 companies.
During the Seven Years' War, the chef of the regiment was:
- since 1751: Pfalzgraf (Count Palatine) Friedrich Michael von Zweibrücken
During the Seven Years' War, its commanders were:
Service during the War
At the outbreak of the war in 1756, the regiment was garrisoning Heidelberg and Mosbach.
In 1757, the II and III squadrons (each counting 144 men) of the regiment where combined with the Oberrheinische Kreiseskadron (Imperial District Squadron) to form the so called Kurpfalz Cuirassiers (aka von Hatzfeld Carabiniers). This regiment joined the Reichsarmee operating in Thuringia. In August, this army combined with a French contingent under the prince de Soubise to form the Franco-Imperial army who proceeded to the invasion of Saxony. Soubise rated the various units of the Reichsarmee and considered the von Hatzfeld Carabiniers as "mediocre". On November 5, the regiment fought at the Battle of Rossbach where it deployed in the first line of the right wing under the prince von Hohenzollern. The regiment suffered heavy losses during this battle.
On November 20 1759, as part of the Kurpfalz Cuirassier Regiment, the II and III squadrons took part in the Battle of Maxen where an Austro-Imperial army captured the Prussian corps of lieutenant-general Finck.
On October 29 1762, as part of the Kurpfalz Cuirassier Regiment, the II and III squadrons took part in the Battle of Freiberg.
Throughout the war, the I./Prinz Friedrich squadron remained at Heidelberg in Palatine territories.
|Headgear||black tricorne without lace with blue within white pompoms and a black cockade|
|Coat||white coat with 12 brass buttons on the right and 12 buttonholes on the left, 1 brass button on each side in the small of the back
|Waistcoat||straw without buttons|
Troopers were armed with a straight bladed sabre (brass hilt), a carbine and 2 pistols.
The officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:
- gold laced tricorne
- no collar on the coat
- golden buttons and laces and epaulets
- yellow waistcoat with gold buttons
- white and blue striped sash (silver and blue for staff officers)
- white and blue sword frog (silver and blue for staff officers)
- black cane
no information available yet
no information available yet
Bezel, Oskar; Geschichte des Kurpfälzischen Heeres ..., Bayrisches Kriegsarchiv, München, 1925
Pengel, R.D. And G. R. Hurt; Bavaria, Saxony & the Palatinate Supplement: Uniforms and Flags of the Senen Years War, Hopewell: On Military Matters, 1981, pp. 51-52
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.
rf-figuren for the initial version of this article.