Prussian Garrison Regiment IX
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in Geldern on August 1 1743. It consisted of a single battalion, including 1 grenadier coy, and served as garrison in this town until 1756. Its grenadiers garrisoned Magdeburg.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since November 4 1748: Ernst August de la Chevallerie Baron de la Motte
- from January 17 1759 to April 5 1763: Bernd Eckard von Bonin
After the war, the regiment returned to Geldern, its former garrison place. Frei-Infanterie Salenmon was then incorporated into this regiment.
Service during the War
In 1756, at the outbreak of the war, the regiment, still consisting of a single battalion, was garrisoning Geldern.
In March 1757, when the French army prepared for the invasion of Hanover, Wesel was evacuated, leaving the fortress of Geldern isolated. On May 1, the Comte de Beausobre blockaded the Fortress of Geldern. The Prussians had left 800 men in the town under the command of Colonel von Salmuth and had flooded, although quite imperfectly, the approaches of the place. The regiment, composed mainly of foreigners, mutinied during the siege but Colonel von Salmuth quickly re-established order. He then resisted until August 23 before surrendering the place. He and the garrison obtained free withdrawal. On the march, most soldiers deserted. On October 4, when the regiment finally reached Magdeburg, it counted only 15 officers, 18 NCOs, 24 privates and 1 drummer. On October 13, the remnants of the regiment marched to Berlin. Meanwhile, an Austrian corps under the command of Count Andreas Hadik had undertaken a raid on Berlin. On October 16, when this corps arrived in front of the city, the regiment retired to Potsdam.
In the spring of 1758, the regiment returned to Magdeburg where it was re-raised to full strength and assumed garrison duty till the end of the war.
N.B.: During the war the grenadiers from the wing grenadier company were put together with the grenadiers of Garrison Regiment XIII and IR45 von Dossow Fusiliers, forming the Standing Grenadier Battalion Nr. II (45/G-XIII/G-IX Ingersleben) (please refer to this article for the details of the service of the grenadiers during the war).
As was the case for most garrison regiments, the musketeers and grenadiers of this regiment wore different uniforms. The present article describes the uniform of the musketeers. For the uniform of the grenadiers, please refer to the article dedicated to the Standing Grenadier Battalion Nr. II (45/G-XIII/G-IX Ingersleben).
|Coat||Prussian blue lined red with 6 brass buttons on both sides on the chest, 2 brass buttons at the waist on the right side and 3 brass buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
Privates were armed with a short musket and a bayonet.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- tricorne with wide gold lace and a black and white pompom
- gold laced cuffs
- no shoulder strap
- yellowish leather gloves
- black and white sabre tassel
NCOs were armed with a sabre and a white light half-pike measuring 7,5 Rhenish feet (2.37 m.).
NCOs also carried wooden canes (normally attached to a button at the top of the right front while carrying the half-pike).
Uniforms of officers were very similar to those of the privates with the following exceptions:
- black tricorne wearing a thin golden lace and 2 black and white tassels, 1 in each side corne of the tricorne (officers always wore tricornes notwithstanding if they were commanding musketeers, fusiliers or grenadiers)
- black neck stock
- no shoulder strap on the coat
- no turnbacks on the coat
- no trimming on the coat
- black and silver sash around the waist
- a silver and gold gorget
Officers carried white spontoons measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.36 m.) and an officer stick.
Drummers wore uniforms to those of the privates with the following differences:
- no shoulder strap
- shoulders decorated with white swallow nests (4 vertical and 1 horizontal braids)
Drummers carried a side-arm.
The drum pattern had ???.
Colonel flag (Leibfahne): White field. Centre device consisting of a golden “FR” cipher surrounded by golden palm leaves and surmounted by a gold crown. Grenades in gold.
Regimental flags (Kompaniefahnen): Dark orange field. Centre device consisting of a golden “FR” cipher surrounded by golden palm leaves and surmounted by a gold crown. Grenades in gold.
N.B. the reverses of all colours were mirror images of the obverses
Bleckwenn, Hans: Die friderizianischen Uniformen 1756-1783, Bd. II., Infanterie II, Osnabrück 1984
Duffy, Christopher: Friedrich der Große und seine Armee, Stuttgart, 2. Auflage 1983
Engelmann, Joachim and Günter Dorn: Die Infanterie-Regimenter Friedrich des Grossen, Podzun-Pallas, 2000, pp. 146-147
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, App. 1
Guddat, Martin: Die Infanterie Friedrichs des Großen, Herford 1986
Haythornthwaite, Philip: Frederick the Great (2), Men-at Arms-Series No. 240, Osprey
Hohrath, Daniel: The Uniforms of the Prussian Army under Frederick the Great from 1740 to 1786; Vol. 2; Verlag Militaria, Vienna: 2011, pp. 436-439
Horvath, Carl Christian: Friedrichs II. König von Preussen Armee-Montirungen, Potsdam 1789. Vierte Sammlung
Merta, Klaus-Peter: Das Heerwesen in Brandenburg und Preußen von 1640 bis 1806 - Die Uniformierung, Berlin 1991
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.
Martina Hager for the initial version of this article.