Prussian Garrison Regiment V
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1741 to garrison the recently captured fortress of Glogau (actual Głogów). It initially counted 2 battalions but was increased to 4 battalions in July 1754 (the 2 new battalions had no grenadier company. The district of Glogau became its recruiting canton until 1747 when it was allowed to recruit in the districts of Breslau, Glogau, Liegnitz and Frankenstein. Until 1756, its garrison places were Züllichau, Crossen, Drossen, Beeskow and Sommerfeld.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since August 6 1743: Friedrich Julius von Mützschefahl
- from February 18 1759 to September 10 1763: Gustav Adolf von Sydow
After the war, the regiment garrisoned the places of Züllichau, Crossen, Drossen, Jauer, Striegau and Neumarkt.
Service during the War
In August 1757, the first and second battalions of the regiment were part of the small Prussian force assembled in Silesia by Major-general von Kreytzen to oust the Austrian corps occupying Landeshut. On August 13, it took part to the first combat of Landeshut. On November 12, 3 battalions surrendered as prisoners of war at the end of the siege of Schweidnitz.
In April 1758, the first and second battalions joined the army of Frederick II who lay siege to Schweidnitz and recaptured the fortress on April 18. From May to July, these battalions took part in the invasion of Moravia and in the unsuccessful siege of Olmütz, fighting at Domstadtl.
On July 23 1759, the first and second battalions of the regiment took part in the battle of Paltzig (aka Kay) where they formed part of the rearguard under Major-general von Wobersow. Three weeks later, on August 12, these battalions fought in the bloody battle of Kunersdorf where they were deployed in the second line of the centre left infantry as part of Itzenplitz brigade in Lieutenant-general Kanitz division.
To do: more details on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
During the entire war, the third and fourth battalions assumed garrison duties in Silesia.
N.B.: During the war the grenadiers from the wing grenadier company were put together with the grenadiers of Garrison Regiment X, forming the Standing Grenadier Battalion Nr. V (G-V/G-X Rath) (please refer to this article for the details of the service of the grenadiers during the war).
Exceptionally the musketeers and grenadiers of this regiment wore different uniforms. The present article describes the uniform of the musketeers. For the uniform of the grenadiers, please refer to the article dedicated to Standing Grenadier Battalion Nr. V (G-V/G-X Rath).
|Coat||Prussian blue lined red with 6 yellow buttons on both sides on the chest, 2 yellow buttons at the waist on the right side and 3 yellow buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
Privates were armed with a short musket and a bayonet.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- tricorne with wide gold lace and black and white pompoms
- gold laced cuffs
- no shoulder straps
- yellowish leather gloves
- black and white sabre tassel
NCOs were armed with a sabre and a white light half-pike measuring 7,5 Rhenish feet (2.37 m.).
NCOs also carried wooden canes (normally attached to a button at the top of the right front while carrying the half-pike).
Officers had tricorne wearing a thin gold lace and 2 black and white quartered pompoms (1 in each side corne of the tricorne). They also wore a black and silver sash around the waist. They carried an officer stick and a silver and gold gorget. Their coats were similar to those of the privates but had no turnbacks.
Officers carried white spontoons measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.36 m.).
Drummers wore uniforms to those of the privates with the following differences:
- no shoulder strap
- shoulders decorated with white swallow nests (4 vertical and 1 horizontal braids)
Drummers carried a sidearm.
The drum pattern had ???.
Colonel flag (Leibfahne): White field. Centre device consisting of a golden “FR” monogram surrounded by a golden laurel wreath and surmounted by a gold crown. Grenades in gold.
Regimental flags (Kompaniefahnen): Black field. Centre device consisting of a golden “FR” monogram surrounded by a golden laurel wreath and surmounted by a gold crown. Grenades in gold.
Bleckwenn, Hans: Die friderizianischen Uniformen 1756-1783, Bd. II., Infanterie II, Osnabrück 1984
Duffy, Christopher: Friedrich der Große und seine Armee, Stuttgart, 2. Auflage 1983
Engelmann, Joachim and Günter Dorn: Die Infanterie-Regimenter Friedrich des Grossen, Podzun-Pallas, 2000, pp. 146-147
Guddat, Martin: Die Infanterie Friedrichs des Großen, Herford 1986
Haythornthwaite, Philip: Frederick the Great (2), Men-at Arms-Series No. 240, Osprey
Horvath, Carl Christian: Friedrichs II. König von Preussen Armee-Montirungen, Potsdam 1789. Vierte Sammlung
Merta, Klaus-Peter: Das Heerwesen in Brandenburg und Preußen von 1640 bis 1806 - Die Uniformierung, Berlin 1991
Martina Hager for the initial version of this article.