Prussian Garrison Regiment X
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in Bohemia in December 1743 to serve as garrison for the fortress of Glatz (actual Kłodzko). It consisted of a two battalions, each including a grenadier coy.
From 1747 to 1756, the regiment garrisoned Patschkau (actual Paczkow), Ottmachau (actual Otmuchow), Nimptsch (actual Niemcza) and occasionally Münsterberg (actual Ziebice).
On June 19 1756, Frederick II ordered to increase the regiment to 4 battalions. The 2 new battalions, who had no grenadier companies, were sent to Neisse (actual Nysa).
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since September 5 1747 to November 21 1765: Busso Christian von Blanckensee
After the war, the regiment garrisoned the places of Neisse (10 coys), Patschkau, Nimptsch and Ottmachau (5 coys).
Service during the War
In 1756, at the outbreak of the war, the regiment consisted of 4 battalions. Its third and fourth battalions were garrisoning Neisse.
From October 3 to November 7 1758, battalions III and IV defended Neisse during the Austrian siege.
N.B.: During the war the grenadiers from the 2 wing grenadier company were put together with the grenadiers of Garrison Regiment V, forming the Standing Grenadier Battalion Nr. V Rath (please refer to this article for the details of the service of the grenadiers during the war).
As was the case for most garrison regiments, the musketeers and grenadiers of this regiment wore different uniforms. The present article describes the uniform of the musketeers. For the uniform of the grenadiers, please refer to the article dedicated to the Standing Grenadier Battalion Nr. V Rath.
|Coat||Prussian blue lined red with 6 white buttons on both sides on the chest, 2 white buttons at the waist on the right side and white buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
Privates were armed with a short musket and a bayonet.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- tricorne with wide silver lace and black and white pompoms
- silver laced cuffs
- no shoulder straps
- yellowish leather gloves
- black and white sabre tassel
NCOs were armed with a sabre and a white light half-pike measuring 7,5 Rhenish feet (2.37 m.).
NCOs also carried wooden canes (normally attached to a button at the top of the right front while carrying the half-pike).
Officers had tricorne wearing a thin silver lace and 2 black and white quartered pompoms (1 in each side corne of the tricorne). They also wore a black and silver sash around the waist. They carried an officer stick and a silver and gold gorget. Their coats were similar to those of the privates but had no turnbacks.
Officers carried white spontoons measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.36 m.).
Drummers wore uniforms to those of the privates with the following differences:
- no shoulder strap
- shoulders decorated with white swallow nests (4 vertical and 1 horizontal braids)
Drummers carried a sidearm.
The drum pattern had ???.
Colonel flag (Leibfahne): White field. Centre device consisting of a silver “FR” monogram surrounded by a silver laurel wreath and surmounted by a silver crown. Grenades in silver.
Regimental flags (Kompaniefahnen): Light blue field. Centre device consisting of a silver “FR” monogram surrounded by a silver laurel wreath and surmounted by a silver crown. Grenades in silver.
Bleckwenn, Hans: Die friderizianischen Uniformen 1756-1783, Bd. II., Infanterie II, Osnabrück 1984
Duffy, Christopher: Friedrich der Große und seine Armee, Stuttgart, 2. Auflage 1983
Engelmann, Joachim and Günter Dorn: Die Infanterie-Regimenter Friedrich des Grossen, Podzun-Pallas, 2000, pp. 146-147
Guddat, Martin: Die Infanterie Friedrichs des Großen, Herford 1986
Haythornthwaite, Philip: Frederick the Great (2), Men-at Arms-Series No. 240, Osprey
Horvath, Carl Christian: Friedrichs II. König von Preussen Armee-Montirungen, Potsdam 1789. Vierte Sammlung
Merta, Klaus-Peter: Das Heerwesen in Brandenburg und Preußen von 1640 bis 1806 - Die Uniformierung, Berlin 1991
Martina Hager for the initial version of this article.