Puebla Infantry

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Austrian Army >> Puebla Infantry

Origin and History

The regiment was raised in 1717 for the reigning Margrave Wilhelm Friedrich von Brandenburg-Anspach.

During the War of the Quadruple Alliance, on June 20 1719 in Sicily, the regiment took part in the battle of Francavilla.

In 1724, Heinrich Ferdinand, Baron von Müfling became owner of the regiment.

In August 1737, upon the death of Baron von Müfling, he was succeeded by Nicolaus Joseph, Count von Grüne at the head of the regiment.

During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment served on the Rhine in 1734 and 1735.

From 1738, the regiment was stationed in Hungary.

During the War of the Austrian Succession, on April 10 1741, the regiment took part in the battle of Mollwitz. On May 17 1742, it fought at the battle of Chotusitz. On June 4 1745, it took part in the battle of Hohenfriedberg, where it distinguished itself by holding its position to the last extremity. On September 30 of the same year, it was at the battle of Soor.

The regiment recruited in the Circle of the Upper Rhine.

As per the Etat nouveau des Troupes de sa Majesté Impériale Royale comme elles se trouvent effectivement l'an 1759 and Etat général des Troupes qui servent sa Majesté Impériale et Royale Apostolique sur pié en 1760, the regiment counted 4 battalions (2 grenadier coys and 16 fusilier coys) for a total of 2,300 men. This was the administrative organisation of the regiment. However, the tactical organisation differed: 2 field fusilier battalions, each of 6 companies; 2 grenadier companies (usually converged with grenadiers from other battalions into an ad hoc unit); and 1 garrison battalion of 4 companies (see Austrian Line Infantry Organisation for more details).

During the Seven Years' War, the chef of the regiment was:

  • since February 15 1751 until 1776: Anton von Portugal, Count von Puebla

During the Seven Years' War, its colonel-commander was:

  • in 1756: Baron von Wurzburg
  • from 1758 : Colonel Ferdinand, Count von Grüne.
  • from 1762: Colonel Franz Xaver, Count von Harrach

Regimental numbers were introduced only in 1769 when this regiment was designated as "I.R. 26".

Service during the War

On June 18 1757, the regiment took part in the battle of Kolin. It was deployed on the right of the first line in Mayern's Brigade. On November 22, two battalions of the regiment took part in the battle of Breslau where they were deployed in Los Rios' brigade, in the first line of the infantry centre under baron Kheul. On December 5 at the battle of Leuthen, two battalions of the regiment were deployed in Macquire's brigade in the first line of the infantry right wing under Kheul.

By August 2 1758, the regiment served in the second line of the main Austrian army under the command of Daun near Jarmeritz (present-day Jaroměřice nad Rokytnou). Daun was following up the Prussian army retiring through Bohemia after the failure of its invasion of Moravia. On October 10, two battalions of the regiment took part in the battle of Hochkirch where they were deployed in Colloredo's column to the southeast of Lauske.

By mid August 1759, the regiment was part of Daun's corps posted in Silesia. On September 2, it took part in the combat of Sorau. On December 3 and 4, 1 battalion of the regiment formed part of Beck's corps who attacked an isolated Prussian force and captured part of it at the combat of Meissen.

In July 1760, a battalion of the regiment served with distinction during the Prussian siege of Dresden. On September 17, two battalions took part in the combat of Hochgiersdorf. On November 3, two battalions took part in the bloody battle of Torgau.

From August to October 1762, during the Prussian siege of Schweidnitz, one battalion of the regiment was among the garrison of the fortress.

To do: more details on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762

Uniform

For the moment we have very few information on the uniform in 1756, at the outbreak of the war. Most of our references describe the uniform in 1762. However, Muhsfeldt and Schirmer mention that, in 1756-57, the coat was white lined red (therefore red turnbacks), the distinctive colour was red and the waistcoat and breeches were white. Therefore, the uniform at the beginning of the war seems to have been almost identical to the uniform of 1762.

Privates

Uniform in 1762 - Source: Frédéric Aubert from a template made by Richard Couture.
Uniform in 1762
as per the Albertina Handschrift

completed with other sources where necessary
Headgear
Musketeer black tricorne scalloped white; white fastener with a yellow button; with yellow within red tassels in the lateral cornes
Grenadier bearskin with a red bag probably laced white and a white tassel
Neckstock one red and one black (for parades the regimental commanders agreed before on the colour of the neckstocks)
Coat white lined red with 3 yellow buttons under the right lapel and 1 yellow button in the small of the back on each side
Collar none
Shoulder Straps white bordered red fastened by a yellow button (left shoulder only)
Lapels red pointed lapels without buttons
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 yellow buttons
Cuffs red without buttons
Turnbacks red
Waistcoat white with 1 row of small yellow buttons (3-3-3) and with horizontal pockets, each with 3 yellow buttons
Breeches white
Gaiters one pair of black (for winter) and one pair of white gaiters (for summer and parade)
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt white
Waistbelt white with a brass buckle
Cartridge Box black with a small brass plate carrying the initials “MT”
Bayonet Scabbard black with brass fittings
Scabbard black (grenadiers only)
Footgear black shoes


Troopers were armed with a musket (Model 1745 for fusiliers, Model 1754 for grenadiers). Grenadiers carried a sabre while fusiliers carried only a bayonet.

Other interpretations

The Bautzener Handschrift illustrates the following differences:

  • white laced black tricorne with a white within red within white pompom
  • two rows of yellow buttons on the waistcoat
  • no shoulder strap

Donath illustrates the following differences:

  • red tassels in the lateral cornes of the tricorne
  • 7 yellow buttons (1-3-3) on each lapel
  • 3 yellow buttons on each cuff

Knötel illustrates the following differences:

  • white laced tricorne with 1 white cockade and 2 red within blue pompoms (in the lateral corne)
  • orange red distinctive colour
  • 7 yellow buttons (1-3-3) on each lapel
  • 3 yellow buttons on each cuff
  • white turnbacks with an orange red fastener with 1 yellow button at each turnback

NCOs

no information available yet

Officers

The officers wore the same uniform as the privates with the following exceptions:

  • tricorne laced gold with a white and green cockade and bordered with white plumes
  • black neckstock
  • no shoulder strap
  • no turnbacks
  • yellow and black silk sash

Senior officers carried sticks identifying their rank:

  • lieutenant: bamboo stick without knob
  • captain: long rush stick with a bone knob
  • major: long rush stick with a silver knob and a small silver chain
  • lieutenant-colonel: long rush stick with a larger silver knob without chain
  • colonel: long rush stick with a golden knob

Musicians

As per a regulation of 1755, musicians were now distinguished from troopers only by red swallow nests on the shoulders.

N.B.: Donath illustrates a drummer with a red coat with yellow swallow nests; white lapels with 7 (1-3-3) yellow buttons; white cuffs laced yellow with 3 yellow buttons; white turnbacks

The drum had a brass barrel decorated with black flames at the bottom and with a black double headed Eagle on a yellow field. Rims were decorated with red and white diagonal stripes. The bandolier was white.

Colours

All German infantry regiments carried identical colours: a white Leibfahne (colonel) and yellow Regimentsfahne. The hand painted colours were made of silk and measured Size 178 cm x 127 cm. The 260 cm long flagpoles had golden finial and were decorated with black and yellow spirals of cloth.

The colonel colour was carried by the first battalion.

Colonel flag (Leibfahne):

  • field: white
  • border: alternating white and yellow outer waved triangles pointing inwards, red and black inner waved triangles pointing outwards
  • obverse (right): the Immaculate Mother of God (which had been declared the patroness of the army by kaiser Ferdinand III) on a cloud, crushing a snake under her foot and surrounded by rays
  • reverse (left): crowned and armed Imperial double-eagle with the "Lothringen-Toscanian" arms on a shield and the initials of the Emperor CF (Corregens Franciscus) on the left wing and IM (Imperator Magnus) on the right
Leibfahne – Source: Frédéric Aubert

Regimental flags (Regimentsfahne):

  • field: yellow
  • border: alternating white and yellow outer waved triangles pointing inwards, red and black inner waved triangles pointing outwards
  • obverse (right): crowned and armed Imperial double-eagle with the "Lothringen-Toscanian" arms on a shield and the initials of the Emperor CF (Corregens Franciscus) on the left wing and IM (Imperator Magnus) on the right
  • reverse (left): unarmed and crowned Imperial double-eagle with the arms of Hungaria and Bohemia on a shield and the initials M on the left wing and T on the right
Regimentsfahne – Source: Frédéric Aubert

In fact, the situation on the field was slightly more complex than this, since colours were usually replaced only when worn out. It is fairly possible that some regiment who had been issued colours of the 1743 pattern were still carrying them at the beginning of the Seven Years' War. For more details, see Austrian Line Infantry Colours.

References

This article contains texts from the following sources, which are now in the public domain:

  • Seyfart, Kurzgefaßte Geschichte aller kaiserlich-königlichen Regimenter zu Pferde und zu Fuß, Frankfurth and Leipzig, 1762, pp. 30-31

Other sources

Dihm, Dr. Hermann; Oesterreichische Standarten und Fahnen zur Zeit des 7 jährigen Krieges, Die Zinnfigur, Klio

Donath, Rudolf; Die Kaiserliche und Kaiserlich-Königliche Österreichische Armee 1618-1918, 2. Aufl., Simbach/Inn 1979

Etat nouveau des Troupes de sa Majesté Impériale Royale comme elles se trouvent effectivement l'an 1759

Etat général des Troupes qui servent sa Majesté Impériale et Royale Apostolique sur pié en 1760

Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle

Hausmann, Friedrich, Die Feldzeichen der Truppen Maria Theresias, Schriften des Heeresgeschichtlichen Museums, vol. 3, Vienna: 1967

Knötel, Herbert d.J.; Brauer, Hans M.: Heer und Tradition / Heeres-Uniformbogen (so-called “Brauer-Bogen”), Berlin 1926-1962, Österreich-Ungarn – 1756-63

Muhsfeldt, Th.; Abzeichenfarben der K. und K. Regimenter zu Fuss im Jahre 1757 und früher, in Mitteilungen zur Geschichte des militärischen Tracht, No. 12, 1904

Pengel, R. D. and G.R. Hurt; Austro-Hungarian Infantry 1740-1762; On Military Matters; Birmingham, 1982

Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989

Seidel, Paul; Nochmals österreichische Standarten und Fahnen zur Zeit des 7 jährigen Krieges, Die Zinnfigur, Clio

Thümmler, L.-H., Die Österreichiches Armee im Siebenjährigen Krieg: Die Bautzener Bilderhandschrift aus dem Jahre 1762, Berlin 1993

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.

Acknowledgments

User:Zahn for gathering most of the information about this regiment