Origin and History
The regiment (12 companies) was raised at Daroca in Aragon on March 27 1735 by King Philip V in memory of his second wife, Queen Isabel Farnesio. It was named “Real de la Reina Dragones” and placed under the command of Colonel Don Joaquin Ponce de Leon Duke of Arcos. It consisted of:
- 1 colonel
- 1 lieutenant-colonel
- 1 major
- 1 adjutant
- 1 chaplain
- 1 surgeon
- 1 tambour-major
- 12 companies, each of
- 1 captain
- 1 lieutenant
- 1 alférez
- 1 sergeant
- 1 drummer
- 3 corporals
- 4 grenadiers
- 33 dragoons
The new regiment took up its quarters in Zamora.
In 1742, during the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48), the regiment embarked from Barcelona and landed near Genoa in Italy. In 1743, it took part in the Battle of Campo Santo; in 1745, in the sieges and capture of Serravalle and Tortona, in the occupation of Piacenza and Parma, in the capture of Pavia, in the Battle of Bassignano, in the siege and capture of Alessandria and in the attack on Cassale di Monferrato; in 1746, in the surprise attack on Codogno, in the Battle of Piacenza, in the Battle of Rottofreddo, in the occupation of Oneglia, Nice and Exiles. In 1748, it returned to Spain.
In 1749, the regiment took up quarters in Daroca.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- no information available yet
Service during the War
In 1757, the regiment took post at Rivera.
On August 28, 1758, the regiment was transferred to Mérida. At the beginning of September, it was transferred to Andalusia, arriving at the port of Santa Maria on October 1.
At the beginning of July 1760, the regiment was sent to Jeréz de la Frontera.
On July 18, 1761, the regiment set off for Lorca where it arrived on August 20.
On January 14, 1762, the regiment set off from Lorca for the planned invasion of Portugal and, on February 11, took up cantonments in Olias in the Province of Toledo. On March 2, it resumed its march towards Old Castile. On March 15, it reached Alaejos. By April 14, the regiment was at Ciudad Rodrigo where a force of 10,000 men had been assembled. On May 13, the grenadier company of the regiment was detached to the Fort de la Conception along with the grenadiers of Africa Infantry and 200 Swiss to cover the frontier. On May 16, a squadron of the regiment left for the place of Gallegos. On June 5, the entire regiment concentrated at Gallegos. On June 6, it encamped in Valdemuela where it joined the army.. On July 8, after the surrender of Castel Rodrigo, the regiment retired to Ciudad Rodrigo. On August 4, it encamped near Almeida and took part in the Siege of Almeida which capitulated on August 25. On August 30, the regiment marched to Aldea Nova and, on September 5, to San Pedro. It then entered into Extremadura with the troops of General Rivaguero to guard the place of Alcántara. It then penetrated into Portugal and, on September 9, captured the place of Salvatierra. On September 14, it encamped in Penhagarcia. On September 21, it advanced on Castelho Branco. On October 1, part of the regiment took part in an engagement near Sarcedas. On October 18, it retired to Castelho Branco. On October 26, it followed the army who marched to Alcántara to cross the Tagus and lay siege to Elvas and Campo Maior. On October 31, the regiment encamped near Aldea del Puerco. From November 14 to 17, it took post at Albuquerque. It then marched to Montijo where, on November 25, it received orders to suspend hostilities. On December 28, it took up quarters at Orihuela.
In 1763, the regiment remained at Orihuela until February 14.
|Headgear||black tricorne laced silver with a red cockade fastened with a white button|
|Coat||red with white buttons on the right side
|Waistcoat||blue with white buttons|
no information available yet
Musicians wore a uniform with reversed colours: blue coat with red facings, decorated with silver braids.
The tambour-major uniform wore the arms of the House of Farnesio on a escutcheon.
The regiment had the privilege to carry kettle-drums captured from the Austrian cavalry regiment Bersinghen in the Battle of Campo Santo on February 8, 1743.
Guidons were of crimson damask bordered in gold and silver with blue velvet streamers laced in silver.
- obverse: centre device consisting of the Royal Arms
- reverse: centre device consisting of the corporal cloth of Daroca with the bloodstained hosts with the motto “Regali hac tessere, nihil pavendum.”
This article is mostly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. XVI, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 40-55
Album de Taccoli, 1759
Juan José Torres and the Asociación Cultural de Modelismo Histórico Alabarda for the information and counselling provided for this article.