Origin and History
The ship was built by Israel Pownoll at the Woolwich dockyard and launched on January 20 1758.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from 1758: captain Edward Jekyll
The ship was placed on harbour service in 1801 and broken up in January 1808.
Service during the War
At the end of 1758, the ship was part of commodore Hughes' squadron ordered to the West Indies.
At the beginning of January 1759, the ship was among the fleet assembled at Carlisle Bay in Barbados under commodore John Moore for the planned expedition against the Martinique and Guadeloupe islands. On January 13, the whole British force sailed for Martinique Island. On January 15, the fleet lay off the bay of Fort Royal (actual Fort de France). On the morning of January 16, along with the Bristol (54), she silenced and occupied a fort on Negro Point near Fort Royal. On January 18, after an unsuccessful attempt of the land troops to capture Fort Royal, the British fleet proceeded to Saint-Pierre, the second town in Martinique. On the morning of January 19, commodore Moore ordered the ship to silence a battery about 2 km north of Saint-Pierre. The ship was quite unsupported but fought from 2:00 PM till 4:30 PM with great gallantry and silenced one battery. However, 4 other batteries opened and she was obliged to cut her cable and tow off. She narrowly escaped grounding, and could not entirely get clear till 6:00 PM. Jekyll, her captain, behaved magnificently. Commodore Moore then decided to redirect his efforts against the island of Guadeloupe. On January 22, the British fleet reached Basse-Terre. On January 23, the ship was sent against a 6 guns battery while other vessels bombarded the citadel and town of Basse-Terre. The ship got aground and was again in the greatest danger, until relieved by the Bristol (54) and Roebuck (44). By the end of the day, Basse-Terre was almost entirely destroyed. On January 24, British troops landed and occupied the town. Until March 11, most of the fleet remained idle in front of Basse-Terre. Moore then transported most of the land forces to Fort Louis before falling back to Prince Rupert's Bay in the Island of Dominica, in order to cover Basse-Terre and the British Leeward Islands from the threat of the newly arrived French squadron. The island of Guadeloupe finally capitulated on May 1. The ship then sailed back to Great Britain. On December 20 at about 400 km from the Lizard, she captured the Chézine (22) a French privateer who, at the end of November, had managed to escape from the Saint-Laurent river after the capture of Québec.
To do: more details on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||155 ft (47.2 m)|
|Width||42 ft 5 in (12.9 m)|
|Depth||18 ft 7 in (5.7 m)|
|Displacement||1242 long tons (1262 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, British 4th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.