Royal Comtois Infanterie
Origin and History
After the final annexation of Franche-Comté, a regiment was raised on August 9 1674 by the marquis de Listenois to reward the nobility of the county of Bourgogne. In 1685, when the marquis de Listenois retired, Louis XIV took the regiment who received the name of Royal-Comtois.
During the first two years of the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment was not involved on any theatre of operation. It then served in Italy from 1734 to 1735. In 1736, it was stationed on the island of Oléron.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment initially served on the Lower Rhine in 1741. In 1742, it was at Egra and in 1743 at Thionville. In 1744 and 1745 it served in Flanders. In 1746, it was transferred to the Italian theatre of operation. In 1747, it was at Genoa and in 1748 at Voltri.
On March 10 1749, the regiment incorporated of the disbanded Bassigny Infanterie.
The regiment counted two battalions.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 59th. Its nominal commander was the king but effective command was assumed by the successive lieutenant-colonels:
- since June 5, 1747: marquis de Roquepine
- March 4, 1757: comte de Puységur (formely colonel of Forez Infanterie)
- from February 1 1762 to July 28 1773: comte de Noë
Service during the War
In 1756, the regiment took part to the amphibious expedition against Minorca and to the capture of Fort St. Philip de Mahon. It then returned to France where it assumed the defence of the coasts of Flanders.
In 1757, the regiment was initially sent to reinforce the Lower Rhine Army commanded by Richelieu. It made its junction with the main force in Hessen in August. It seemed that the regiment was then redirected to Soubise's Saxony Army and then again to the Lower Rhine Army where it was by Mid September. At the end of the year, it took its winter quarters in the second line of the French Army: one battalion in Göttingen, the other in Dransfeld.
In February 1758, when Ferdinand of Brunswick launched his offensive, the regiment retired on the Rhine with the rest of the French army. From March 30 to April 4, it was in the first line of Clermont's army in the camp of Wesel on the Lower Rhine. In April, when Clermont redeployed his army along the Rhine, the regiment was placed in the third line at Roermond. After the successful crossing of the Rhine by Ferdinand's army on May 31, the regiment retired towards Rheinberg where it joined Clermont's army on June 2. It remained in this camp until June 12. It was placed in the centre of the second line.
On December 29 1759 near Winterwitten, a detachment of 160 volunteers from the regiment under captain Muret, along with 60 volunteers from Turpin Hussars and one gun was attacked by 400 men from Luckner's Hussars, 100 cavalrymen from various regiments, 400 infantrymen and two guns. In contemporary relations, these volunteers were sometimes designated as Volontaires de Muret and assimilated to light troops.
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
The drummers of the regiment wore the Royal Livery: blue coat lined red; red cuffs, waistcoat and breeches; laced with the braid of the small Royal Livery.
The colonel flag was white with golden fleurs de lys and a white cross of Burgundy. Ordonnance flags were aurore (light orange) with golden fleurs de lys and a red cross of Burgundy.
Evrard P.; Praetiriti Fides
Menguy, Patrice; Les Sujets du Bien Aimé
Mouillard, Lucien; Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian; The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L.; Nec Pluribus Impar
Yahoo SYW Group Message No. 708