Royal Suédois Infanterie
Origin and History
The regiment was raised on August 1 1690 from 500 Swedish prisoners captured at the Battle of Fleurus where they were in the Dutch service.
During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment occupied Lorraine in 1733. Then in 1734 and 1735, it was stationed in Palatinate. In 1737, it was at Strasbourg.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment first served in Bohemia in 1742 where it defended Prague after the capture of the city. For its behaviour during the siege, the regiment received the title of “Royal Suédois” on October 30 1742. In 1743, the regiment served in Bavaria, In 1744, it was at Wissembourg in Alsace. In 1745, it was at Pfaffenhoffen in Alsace. From 1746 to 1748, the regiment served in Flanders.
The regiment counted two battalions and had prévôté (provostship).
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 95th and was under the command of:
- from April 22 1756 to June 17 1770: Alexandre Toffeta Comte de Sparre de Kronemberg
On January 18 1760, when the German Infantry was reorganised, the regiment was increased to three battalions by the incorporation of the Royal Pologne Regiment.
Service during the War
In 1757, the regiment joined the Army of the Lower Rhine commanded by the Maréchal d'Estrées for the planned invasion of Hanover. At the end of June, it was at the camp of Bielefeld with d'Estrées' main corps. On July 26, the regiment was at the Battle of Hastenbeck where it supported the leading columns of the left wing. At the end of the year, it took its winter-quarters in the second line of the French Army at Neustadt am Rübenberge.
At the end of January 1758, the regiment was assigned to the army that Louis XV planned to send to Bohemia for joint operations with the Austrian Army. However in February, when the Allied Army led by Ferdinand of Brunswick launched its winter offensive in western Germany, the regiment retired to the Rhine with the rest of the French Army. From March 30 to April 4, it was in the second line of Clermont's Army in the camp of Wesel on the Lower Rhine. By July, it had been transferred to Soubise's Army assembling near Friedberg in Hesse.
On April 12 1759, as part of Broglie's Army, the regiment bivouacked near Bergen. Broglie immediately deployed the regiment in the orchards near Bergen. On April 13, the regiment took part in the Battle of Bergen where it formed part of the first line of the right wing under the command of Prince Camille de Lorraine. The regiment was among the infantry entrenched in the village of Bergen. Around 10:00 a.m., it was heavily involved in a fire fight against the Allied units advancing against Bergen who were driven back.
To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1762
The following description has been verified against the manuscript "Troupes du Roi, Infanterie française et étrangère, année 1757, tome I" and Taccoli's book published in 1760.
|Coat||turquin blue lined chamois with 3 chamois laced buttonholes on both sides below the lapels and 3 yellow buttons on the right side
|Waistcoat||turquin blue with 10 copper buttons and 10 chamois laced buttonholes grouped 2 by 2 on each side, pockets were identical to those on the coat|
|Breeches||white (turquin blue before 1758, however the manuscript of 1757 depicts white breeches)|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
All officers had to be Swedes.
no information found concerning their uniform
The drummers of the regiment wore the Royal Livery: blue coat lined red; red cuffs, waistcoat and breeches; laced with the braid of the small Royal Livery.
Colonel colour: white field with a white cross; a golden fleur de lys decorated each canton.
Ordonnance Colours: blue field with a white cross; a golden fleur de lys decorated each canton.
N.B.: the manuscript of 1757 depicts colours ressembling those of 1760 with only a few differences:
- for the colonel colour: a blue instead of red scroll
- for the ordonnance colours: cantons disposed in the exact opposite
On January 18 1760, when the German Infantry was reorganised, the colours of the regiment changed.
Colonel colour: white field sown with golden fleurs de lys; centre device consisting of a golden sun surmounted by a red scroll bearing the motto “Nec Pluribus Impar” in gold and with a blue imperial globe and a golden cross beneath.
Ordonnance Colours: blue field with a white cross. The upper left canton (near the flagpole) and the opposed canton each carried a golden crowned lion superposed on 3 diagonal white waved bands. The lower left canton (near the flagpole) and the opposed canton each carried 3 gold crown lined red.
Anon.: Manuscript Troupes du Roi, Infanterie française et étrangère, année 1757, tome I, Musée de l'Armée, Paris
Brolin, Gunnar: Queries - The Royal Suedois Regiment after the Revolution, 18th Century Military Notes & Queries No. 1
Menguy, Patrice: Les Sujets du Bien Aimé (a website who has unfortunately disappeared from the web)
Mouillard, Lucien: Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris, 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V.: Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Service historique de l'armée de terre, Archives du génie, article 15, section 1, §5, pièce 23
Taccoli, Alfonso: Teatro Militare dell' Europa, Part 1, vol. 2; Madrid, March 1760
Vial, J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar
Weaver, R. E.: Military Answers - Regiment Royal Suedois, 18th Century Military Notes & Queries No. 2
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.