Origin and History
From March 1756, this frigate was re-built at Deptford Dockyard by Adam Hayes from a 44-gun ship previously built in 1741, the new 32-gun frigate was launched on June 22 1758.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- from March 1758 to March 1763: Captain John Strachan
In 1780, the frigate was hulked.
The frigate was sold at Sheerness on March 11 1784.
Service during the War
In 1758, the frigate served in the Channel.
In 1759, the frigate was attached to the light squadron squadron of Commodore Duff, observing the French fleet in Brest. On February 1, the frigate captured the French privateer Saint-Michel. On November 20, the frigate was present at the decisive battle of Quiberon who eliminated any serious threat from the French navy for the rest of the war.
In 1760, the frigate was attached to the Western squadron.
In 1761, the frigate was stationed off Le Havre. On February 11, she captured the French privateer Saint-Claude.
|Crew||210 to 220 men|
|Length at gundeck||124 ft 3 in (37.87 m)|
|Width||35 ft 10 in (10.92 m)|
|Depth||11 ft 6 in (3.51 m)|
|Displacement||686 tons BM (622 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, British 6th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Harrison, Simon; Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.