Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1729 with contributions from the infantry regiments under the name Grenadiergarde of king Augustus II. The first battalion was posted in Poland; the second, in Meissen in Saxony.
During the War of the Polish Succession, one battalion took part in the campaigns in Poland.
From 1737 to 1740, the regiment was amalgamated with Graf Brühl Infantry and named Königliche Leibgarde zu Fuß [Royal Foot Life Guards].
At the outbreak of the War of the Austrian Succession, one battalion of the regiment took part in the campaigns of 1741 and 1742. From 1743, the regiment was designated as the Leibgrenadiergarde. In 1745, the entire regiment took part in the campaign. On January 1746, after the Battle of Kesselsdorf, the so so-called Hubertusburg Grenadier Company, and Count Promnitz Free-Company of Grenadiers were incorporated into the regiment.
By 1754, the regiment garrisoned Dresden.
After the Treaty of Hubertusburg, the regiment was re-raised from the veterans, from a new battalion raised in Warsaw, and from the detachment who served in the [neutral] Fortress of Königstein during the war. It thus reformed in 3 battalions with 14 coys.
In 1764, the regiment was reduced to 2 battalions with 10 coys.
Seven Years' War Organisation
As per the 1756 État, the regiment counted 14 grenadier companies formed in 2 battalions and 2 flank grenadier companies for a total of 1,684 men. In 1757 the regiment was not reformed. The grenadiers, instead, served as the grenadier companies of the Garde zu Fuss, Prinz Maximilian Infantry and Prinz Joseph Infantry, in the Saxon auxilliary corps in French service.
- from 1740 to his resignation in 1763: Field-Marshal Count Rutowsky
- from 1753 to his resignation in 1763: Major-General Count zu Solms
Service during the War
At the end of August 1756, when Frederick II launched the invasion of Saxony, the regiment retired to Pirna with the rest of the Saxon army. At Pirna, the regiment was deployed on the right wing under von Rochow, as part of von Stolberg's Brigade. The Prussians blockaded the Saxon army in Pirna from September 9 until October 15 when the Saxons finally had to surrender and the entire regiment was distributed among Prussian infantry regiments, because its men refused to take the oath to the King of Prussia.
In 1757, the Reverenten of the regiment were rallied in Hungary and participated in all campaigns along with the French Armies till 1763.
Upon its creation, the unit wore yellow uniforms. Their uniform changed to white in 1738 and to scarlet in 1741. It then remained the same.
|Coat||red with 2 silver buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels
|Waistcoat||yellow with silver buttons and horizontal pockets|
|Gaiters||black (white for parade)|
Troopers were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a sword.
Officers wore uniform similar to those of the troopers with the following differences:
- silver laced buttonholes
- lapels edged silver
- silver sash around the waist
NCOs wore uniform similar to those of the troopers with the following differences:
- lapels and cuffs edged silver
Drummers, oboists and fifers wore reversed colour coats (yellow with red collar, red lapels edged white, red cuffs edged white, red turnbacks, yellow pocket flaps edged white, red swallow nests edged white, white chevrons on each sleeve). They also wore yellow waistcoats and breeches.
Leibfahne: white field. In the centre an ermine mantel backed light blue, crowned with a royal gold crown. On the mantelgold, four shields wearing the Polish arms (white knight and horse on a red field), the arms of Saxony (white eagle on a red field), the royal "AR" in gold on a light blue field, two crossed crimson swords on a field of black over white and a lime green crown on a black and yellow stripe field. A flaming grenade in each corner. A richly designed border in the distinctive color (lemon yellow) with a red piping.
Ordinarfahne: lemon yellow field. In the centre an ermine mantel backed light blue, crowned with a royal gold crown. On the mantelgold, four shields wearing the Polish arms (white knight and horse on a red field), the arms of Saxony (white eagle on a red field), the royal "AR" in gold on a light blue field, two crossed crimson swords on a field of black over white and a lime green crown on a black and yellow stripe field. A flaming grenade in each corner. A richly designed border in red with a white piping.
Origin and History: editors translation from "Geschichte und gegenwärtiger Zustand der Kursächsischen Armee." (History and present state of the Saxon Army.) 2nd edition, part IX, Dresden 1793.