Saxon Leibregiment Cuirassiers

From Project Seven Years War
Revision as of 03:33, 29 May 2018 by Fred59 (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Saxon Army >> Saxon Leibregiment Cuirassiers

Origin and History

The regiment was raised in 1680. In 1683, it took part in the relief of Vienna. In 1686, it served in Hungary.

During the Nine Years' War, from 1688 to 1693, the regiment served on the Rhine. In 1695, it was transferred to Hungary. At the end of the war, in 1697, it incorporated the disbanded Regiment Rosen.

From 1697 to 1717, the regiment took part in all campaigns in Livonia, Poland and Pomerania. In 1700, it was officially entitled “Kurprinz”. In 1713, it was renamed “Königlicher Prinz”.

In June 1717, the regiment incorporated men of the disbanded Leibregiment and Graf Moritz von Sachsen Cuirassiers.

In 1729, the regiment was renamed “Kronprinz”.

During the War of the Polish Succession, in 1734, the regiment campaigned in Poland. The same year, it was officially entitled “Leibregiment”. In 1735, it served on the Rhine.

During the War of the Austrian Succession, in 1741, 1742, 1744 and 1745, the regiment served with the Saxon army in Bohemia and Saxony. In 1746, 3 coys of the disbanded Regiment Anouciade were incorporated into the regiment. At the end of the war, in 1748, the regiment received 3 additional coys from Regiment Graf Ronnow.

In 1749, the regiment lost 4 coys when it was reduced to its peace time effective. By 1753, as per the État, the regiment counted 4 squadrons in 8 coys for a total of 514 men and 394 horses.

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the effective command of:

  • since 1753: Major-general von Graffen
  • from 1763: Colonel von Rex

At the end of the Seven Years' War, in 1763, the Leibregiment was reformed in 4 squadrons. In 1764, a coy of carabiniers was added. In 1770, the latter was removed and joined the Gardedukorps.

Service during the War

At the end of August 1756, when Frederick II proceeded to the invasion of Saxony, the regiment retired to Pirna with the rest of the Saxon army. At Pirna, the regiment was deployed on the left wing under the Fürst von Anhalt, as part of von Vitzthum's Brigade. The Prussians blockaded the Saxon army in Pirna from September 9 until October 15 when the Saxons finally had to surrender. The entire regiment was then divided among the Prussian cavalry. The men absconding from this service were rallied in Hungary and served as grenadiers with the Saxon infantry along with the French armies from 1758 to 1761.

In 1761, the men finally received mounts and were incorporated into the reformed Garde du Corps (a regiment counting 4 squadrons).

Uniform

Privates

Trooper of the Leibregiment in 1756 - Copyright: Franco Saudelli and Dr Marco Pagan
Uniform Details
Headgear black tricorne laced gold with a white cockade fastened with a yellow button; 1 red tassel in each lateral corne
Neckstock black
Coat white lined red with 6 yellow buttons (arranged 1-2-3) down to the waist on each side; 3 yellow buttons onder the waist on the right side
Collar red
Shoulderstrap red fastened with a small yellow button (on each side)
Lapels none
Cuffs red, each with 3 yellow buttons arranged vertically
Turnbacks red
Waistcoat buff leather edged red without button (fastened with hooks and eyes)
Breeches white
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt n/a
Waistbelt white
Cartridge Box n/a
Scabbard black with brass fittings
Footgear black boots with white knee covers
Horse Furniture
Saddlecloth no information available yet
Housings no information available yet
Blanket roll no information available yet


Troopers were armed with a sabre, 2 pistols and a musket.

Officers

no information available yet

Musicians

no information available yet

Colours

1745 Pattern

Saxon Leibregiment Cuirassiers Standard in 1745 – Source: Dr. Marco Pagan

1752 Pattern

Leibfahne: White field, centre device: gold shield of ornate design upon a wreath of green palm leaves, on top a gold crown, lined crimson, set with silver pearls and colored stones, on the shield is a red field on which the arms of Polands (eagle and knight) are in white, on the centre the arms of Saxony beneath the electoral hat.

Ordinaerfahne: Poppy Red field, in the centre the monogram A.R. in gold, crimson lined gold crown set with silver pearl and colored stones on a pedestal in white surrounded by pale green palm leaves, a gold design around the border, fringe in crimson and gold.

File:Saxon Leibregiment Cuirassiers Leibstandarte.jpg
Leibregiment Cuirassiers Leibstandarte - Source: Frédéric Aubert
File:Saxon Leibregiment Cuirassiers Ordinarstandarte.jpg
Leibregiment Cuirassiers Ordinarstandarte - Source: Frédéric Aubert

The first squadron carried the white colonel (Leib) standard while the 3 other squadrons each carried one ordonnance standard.

References

Bavaria, Saxony and the Palatinate Supplement: Uniforms & Flags of the Seven Years War. Researched by M.Lange and A. Sharman. Compiled by R.D. Pengel. Artwork by G.R. Hurt. Birmingham, 1981.

Acknowledgements

Fabrizio Davi and Christian Rogge for the initial version of this article