Origin and History
The regiment was created on September 19, 1684 and took the name of the province of Soissonnais. Indeed, expecting a Coalition to soon form against France, Louis XIV raised 30 new regiments from September 1 to 30 for the defence of the various places of the realm. By raising one regiment a day, he avoided any problem of precedence among these new regiments. The regiment was given to N. de Goyon-Grimaldi, Duc de Valentinois.
In 1690, during the Nine Years' War (1688-97), the regiment joined the Army of the Flanders and fought in the Battle of Fleurus. In 1691, it took part in the siege of Mons; in 1692, in the siege of Namur and in the Battle of Steenkerque; and in 1693, in the Battle of Landen and in the siege of Charleroi. In 1695, the regiment campaigned on the Rhine; and in 1696 and 1697, on the Meuse.
In 1701, at the outbreak of the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-13), the regiment was allocated to the Army of Italy. In 1702, it part in the battle and capture of Luzzara; in 1703, in the expedition in South Tyrol; in 1704, in the sieges of Vercelli, Ivrea and Verrua; in 1705, in the siege of Chivasso and in the Battle of Cassano; in 1706, in the siege of Turin and in the Battle of Castiglione; and in 1707, in the defence of Provence. From 1708 to 1712, the regiment served with the Army of Dauphiné. In 1713, it took part in the sieges of Landau and Freiburg.
In 1733, at the outbreak of the War of the Polish Succession (1733-35), the regiment joined the Army of the Rhine and participated in the siege of Kehl. In 1734, it took part in the siege of Philisbourg; and in 1735, in the combat of Klausen.
From 1742 to 1744, during the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48), the regiment served in Flanders. In 1745, it took part in the sieges of Tournai, Oudenarde, Termonde and Ath. In 1746, it was transferred to Provence. In 1747, it took part in the Combat of Exiles where its colonel was killed. It then served in the Alps until the end of the war.
On the eve of the Seven Years' War, the regiment counted only one battalion.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 88th and was under the command of:
- from February 1, 1749 to November 25, 1762: Jean-François, Comte de Narbonne-Lara
The regiment was disbanded on November 25 1762.
Service during the War
From 1757 to 1762, the regiment was stationed on the coasts of Languedoc to protect this province against British amphibious expeditions.
On November 25, 1762, the regiment was disbanded.
|Waistcoat||grey-white (blue in 1761)|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
The colonel flag was white with a white cross. Ordonnance flags had a white cross and four blue cantons, each traversed by a diagonal yellow band. Ordonnance flags remained unchanged from 1684 to 1762.
This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Susane, Louis: Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française, J. Corréard, Paris, 1849-1856, Tome 8, pp. 234-235
Funcken, Liliane and Fred: Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Menguy, Patrice: Les Sujets du Bien Aimé (an interesting website which has unfortunately disappeared from the web)
Mouillard, Lucien: Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris: 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V.: Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006