Origin and History
The sloop was built at Chatham and launched in 1752.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- 1757: ???
- 1758: commander Joseph Fraine
The sloop was transformed into a fireship in 1776 and renamed Spitfire.
The fireship was sold in 1780.
Service during the War
In 1757, the ship was part of the aborted expedition against Louisbourg. By July 10, a British fleet (Hardy's and Holbourne's squadrons) had been assembled at Halifax. However on August, when the combined fleet was ready to set sail, Louisbourg had already been reinforced by three French squadrons and governor Loudon canceled the whole enterprise.
At the end of May 1758, the sloop was part of commodore Howe's squadron who, from June 1 to July 1, escorted the amphibious expedition against the French coasts. From July 31 to September 19, she probably took part to the second expedition against the French Coasts.
To do: campaigns from 1759 to 1763
N.B.: reported with 12 guns in 1757 by "Complete History"
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 202-205, 233-235
Phillip, Michael, Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.