Origin and History
The regiment was raised on December 18 1740 in Lower Silesia by Christoph Ernst von Nassau. Initially, its troopers came mostly from units formerly in the Saxon service who had recently surrendered.
At the beginning of the Seven Years' War, the regiment counted 5 squadrons.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since November 27 1755: Christoph Ludwig von Stechow
- from March 6 1758 to September 15 1770: Leopold Johann von Platen (the regiment was then known as “Jung-Platen”)
The regiment was disbanded on October 28 1806 after the capitulation of Hohenlohe at Prenzlau.
Service during the War
In 1756, the regiment may have been part of the army of Silesia under field-marshal Schwerin (Lloyd mentions Rochow but this is impossible since this regiment was operating in Saxony in Frederick's army). During the campaign of 1756, Schwerin's army remained on the border between Silesia and Bohemia.
On May 6 1757, the regiment took part to the battle of Prague where it was deployed in the Reserve under general von Zieten. When the Reserve dispersed the entire Austrian cavalry, prince Charles tried to rally some Austrian cavalry units but the regiment along with Warnery's hussars attacked and broke these units. On June 18, the regiment took part to the battle of Kolin. It was deployed in the van at the extreme left under Hülsen. On November 22, the regiment took part to the battle of Breslau where it was deployed in Meier's brigade, in the second line of the left wing under lieutenant-general von Zieten. On December 5 at the battle of Leuthen, the regiment was deployed in Stechow's brigade in the first line of the cavalry right wing under Zieten.
In 1758, the regiment was part of the Prussian army who proceeded to the invasion of Moravia. Part of the regiment was present at the action of Domstadtl on June 30. On October 14, the regiment fought in the battle of Hochkirch where it formed part of Retzow's Corps near Weissenberg.
On August 12 1759, the regiment took part to the bloody battle of Kunersdorf. In September, it was at the action of Strehla. On October 29, it fought at Pretzsch. On November 21, it was surrounded and captured at the battle of Maxen.
On November 3, 1760, the regiment took part to the battle of Torgau.
On October 29 1762, the regiment took part to the battle of Freiberg.
To do: more details on the campaigns from 1759 to 1762
|Headgear||black tricorne (no lace) with a black cockade fastened with a small white button and lemon yellow pompoms
N.B.: for combat, the tricorne was reinforced with an iron cap
|Coat||cobalt blue with with 2 white buttons under the lapel and 3 white buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
|Waistcoat||straw yellow with one row of small white buttons and horizontal pockets, each with white buttons|
Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols, a musket and a bayonet.
The officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:
- black tricorne (no lace) with a black cockade (attached with a silver clip) and red and silver pompons
- 8 silver buttonholes
Drummers of the regiments wore the same uniform as the troopers but decorated on the seams with a lemon yellow lace bordered in white and decorated with white central dented braid.
Standards were made of damask. They were swallow-tailed and measured some 50 cm along the pole, 65 cm from the pole to the extremity of a point and 50 cm from the pole to the centre of the indentation. The cords and knots were of silver threads. The pole of the standard was a lemon yellow tournament lance reinforced with iron hinges. The golden spearhead wore the crowned monogram of Frédéric (FR).
Note: several sources mention that the “FR” ciphers was also shown on the chest of the eagle; however the preserved standard in the Ghent City Museum has no such decoration
|Colonel Standard (Leibstandarte): white field with waved silver corners, fringed silver with a lemon yellow central medallion surrounded by a silver laurel wreath and decorated with an armed black eagle surmounted by a white scroll laced silver bearing the silver motto "Pro Gloria et Patria". Decoration in silver in each corner (crowns, laurel wreaths and “FR” ciphers).||Squadron Standard (Eskadronstandarte): lemon yellow field with waved silver corners, fringed silver with a silver central medallion surrounded by a silver laurel wreath and decorated with an armed black eagle surmounted by an lemon yellow scroll laced silver bearing the silver motto "Pro Gloria et Patria". Decoration in silver in each corner (crowns, laurel wreaths and “FR” ciphers).|
Funcken, Liliane and Fred , Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Nelke, R., Preussen
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.