Origin and History
The frigate was built by James Wyatt and John Major at Bucklers Hard on the Beaulieu river in Hampshire and launched on January 27 1745.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, in November 1746, the frigate captured a French merchantman. In December, she rescued a British West Indiaman and captured the French privateer Laurette (6). In January 1748, the frigate cruised the bay of Biscay along with the Rainbow. On January 22, she captured the French vessel Palme (12).
In 1750, the frigate served on the coast of Guinea.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- from February 5 1756 to 1758: captain Richard Knight
- in 1759: captain Charles Antrobus
- from 1760: captain Joseph Fraine
The frigate was sold to be broken up on July 17 1770.
Service during the War
In May 1756, the frigate escorted a convoy of 12 transports from the Downs. This convoy transported reinforcement destined for North America.
In the summer and autumn of 1759, the frigate was part of commodore William Boys' squadron blockading the French squadron of Thurot at Dunkerque. In October, Boys' squadron was driven from his station by a gale. On October 15 at 5:00 PM, Thurot seized the opportunity, slipped out through a thick fog and made to the northward. Boys followed as soon as possible but was not able to overtake Thurot. Ultimately, Boys contented himself with cruising off the coast of Scotland with the object of preventing any sudden raid there.
In 1760, the frigate served in the Mediterranean.
In 1761, the frigate returned from the Mediterranean to Great Britain and was on home service till the end of the war.
To do: more details on the campaign from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||112 ft 6 in (34.30 m.)|
|Width||32 ft 3 in (9.80 m.)|
|Depth||11 ft 1 in (3.40 m.)|
|Displacement||508 long tons (516 tonnes)|
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.