Talaru Infanterie

From Project Seven Years War
Revision as of 12:30, 29 September 2014 by RCouture (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> French Army >> Talaru Infanterie

Origin and History

The regiment was raised on October 30 1673 by the Marquis d'Uxelles.

During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment served in Italy from 1733 to 1735. In 1736, it was stationed in Lille.

During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment initially served in Westphalia in 1741, then in Bohemia in 1742. In 1743, it was at Straubing, in 1744 in Alsace, in 1745 on the Rhine and in 1746 in Flanders. It spent the last years of the war, 1747-1748, in Provence.

On March 10 1749, the regiment incorporated the disbanded Beauce Infanterie.

The regiment counted two battalions.

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 54th and was under the command of:

  • since January 2 1745: Marquis de Talaru
  • from January 15 1758: d'Aumont Duc de Mazarin
  • from December 1 1762 to 1780: Comte de la Tour du Pin

When the French army was reorganised in December 1762, the regiment took the name of the Province of Beauce.

Service during the War

In 1755, the regiment was at the camp of Valence.

In 1756, the regiment was sent to Toulon and took part in the amphibious expedition against Minorca and in the [[1756 - Siege of Fort St. Philip |siege and capture of Fort St. Philip de Mahon]] where three of its officers were killed during the assault.

The regiment remained at Mahon until 1757. It then returned to France and was immediately sent to Landau and then to Hessen where it arrived in August. It was cantoned at Eschweig on the Weser to guard the communications between the Army of Saxony and that of the Lower Rhine. After the Battle of Rossbach, the regiment covered the retreat of Soubise's Army. It then advanced into Hanover and, on December 10 1757, was at Celle (Zell) on the Upper Aller where it took its winter-quarters.

In February 1758, when Ferdinand of Brunswick launched his winter offensive in western Germany, the regiment retired on the Rhine with the rest of the French Army. On March 2, the name of the regiment was changed to "D'Aumont-Mazarin". From March 30 to April 4, it was in the second line of Clermont's Army in the camp of Wesel on the Lower Rhine. In April, when Clermont redeployed his army along the Rhine, the regiment was stationed in Rheinberg. After the successful crossing of the Rhine by Ferdinand's Army on May 31, Clermont assembled his army at Rheinberg on June 2. The regiment remained in this camp, where it was placed in the centre of the second line, until June 12. On June 23, the regiment took part in the Battle of Krefeld where it was placed on the right wing of the second line under Harvé. In Mid August, after Ferdinand's retreat to the east bank of the Rhine, the regiment, as part of the Army of the Lower Rhine under Contades, recrossed the Rhine to follow the Allied Army. On August 20, it was encamped near Wesel where it was placed in the centre of the second line.

In June 1759, during the French offensive in western Germany, the regiment was part of the main army under the command of the Marquis de Contades where it was deployed in the first line, on the right wing of the infantry centre. On August 1, the regiment took part in the Battle of Minden where it was deployed in the first line of the infantry right wing under the command of the Chevalier de Nicolaï. It was sent forward to occupy a few houses and hedges located in front of the French cavalry centre but was soon driven out of this defensive position by a charge of an Allied cavalry brigade. On August 15, during the French retreat, the regiment, who had suffered heavily at Minden and was now too weak to serve adequately, was sent to the rear at Marburg where it arrived on August 19. It later retired on Cassel.

By May 23 1760, the regiment was attached to the army of the Duc de Broglie. On July 10, it was present at the Combat of Corbach where it formed part of the two leading brigades of the Lieutenant-General Comte de Saint-Germain who forced march to take part in the engagement. On July 31, the regiment took part in the Battle of Warburg where it was deployed at the end of the left wing of the first line.

In 1761, the regiment was sent back to the coasts of Flanders.

In 1762, the first battalion formed part of the French corps sent to reinforce the Spanish Army for the planned invasion of Portugal. It took part in the siege of Almeida. At the end of the year, when the French Army was reorganised, the regiment, now named Beauce Infanterie, was assigned to harbour and colonies service.

Uniform

The following description has been verified against the manuscript "Troupes du Roi, Infanterie française et étrangère, année 1757, tome I" and Taccoli's book published in 1760.

Privates

Uniform in 1758 - Source: Kronoskaf
Uniform Details as per
Etrennes militaires 1758,
La Chesnaye in 1759 and Etat militaire 1761

completed where necessary with information taken from the manuscript of 1757 and Taccoli's plate
Headgear
Musketeer black tricorne laced gold with a black cockade
Grenadier bearskins are reported as soon as 1753, indeed Taccoli represent a grenadier of this regiment wearing a black bearskin
Neck-stock black
Coat grey-white lined grey-white with copper buttons down to the waist on the right side
Collar grey-white
Shoulder Straps grey-white fastened with a small copper button
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets with large indentations, each with 5 copper buttons: 2 in the upper corners, 3 along the lower border
Cuffs grey-white, each with 5 copper buttons
Turnbacks none but the skirts of the coat could easily be turned back for action
Waistcoat red with one row of small copper buttons and yellow button loops; horizontal pockets with small copper buttons
Breeches grey-white
Gaiters white
Leather Equipment
Cross-belt natural leather (white as per Taccoli)
Waist-belt natural leather (white as per Taccoli)
Cartridge Box natural leather
Bayonet Scabbard black with a white metal tip
Scabbard black (brown as per Taccoli)


Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.

Officers

Golden button loops on the waistcoat.

Musicians

Drummers and oboeists wore the colonel's livery: Talaru until 1758 then Mazarin.

The Talaru livery is unknown however, the arms on the drums were as follows: left part yellow, right part blue with a diagonal red baston (upper left to lower right).

From 1758, the arms on the drums were those of House Mazarin: blue field, red horizontal band (in the foreground) at mid height decorated with 3 gold stars, vertical gold consular fasces (in the background) tied up with silver bonds.

In 1762, when the regiment became a provincial regiment, drummers adopted the Royal livery.

Colours

Colonel colour: white field with a white cross.

Ordonnance colours: two yellow cantons, one red and one violet and a white cross.

Colonel Colour - Source: Kronoskaf
Ordonnance Colour - Source: Kronoskaf

References

Anon.: Manuscript Troupes du Roi, Infanterie française et étrangère, année 1757, tome I, Musée de l'Armée, Paris

Evrard, P.: Praetiriti Fides

Menguy, Patrice: Les Sujets du Bien Aimé (a website who has unfortunately disappeared from the web)

Mouillard, Lucien: Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris 1882

Pajol, Charles P. V.: Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891

Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006

Taccoli, Alfonso: Teatro Militare dell' Europa, Part 1, vol. 2; Madrid, March 1760

Vial, J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.