Origin and History
The frigate was built at Bursledon and launched in 1745.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- 1756: captain Edmund Townley
- April 1758: captain Thomas Manning
The frigate was burnt on April 28 1758 to avoid capture by the French.
Service during the War
In 1756, sometime after vice-admiral Watson's departure for his expedition against Calcutta (October 15), the frigate arrived at Madras from Great Britain along with the Blaze (10) fireship to join Watson's squadron.
During the summer of 1757, the frigate joined commodore James of the East India Company's service off Pondicherry to watch the motions of the French. In September, a strong French squadron arrived at Pondicherry and drove off commodore James' two vessels.
On April 28 1758, a French squadron arrived near Fort Saint-David. It cut off the escape of the Bridgewater (24) and of the Triton (24) which were lying there. To save them from capture, they were both run ashore and burnt.
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 161-164
- HMS Triton
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.