Origin and History
The frigate was built by Hugh Blaydes at Hull and launched on April 28 1759.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- from 1759 to 1763: captain William Paston
The frigate was sold at Woolwich Dockyard on November 29 1776.
Service during the War
In the summer and autumn of 1759, the frigate was part of commodore William Boys' squadron blockading the French squadron of Thurot at Dunkerque. In October, Boys' squadron was driven from his station by a gale. On October 15 at 5:00 PM, Thurot seized the opportunity, slipped out through a thick fog and made to the northward. Boys followed as soon as possible but was not able to overtake Thurot. Ultimately, Boys contented himself with cruising off the coast of Scotland with the object of preventing any sudden raid there.
On September 30 1760, the frigate captured the French privateer Elizabeth (6).
On March 15 1761, off cape Finisterre the frigate captured the French privateer Hardi (10) and brought it to Lisbon.
To do: more details on the campaign from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||128 ft 4 in (39.1 m)|
|Width||34 ft (10.4 m)|
|Depth||10 ft 4 in (3.1 m)|
Blasco, Manuel, British 5th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.