Origin and History
This ship of the line was built by Antoine Groignard at Lorient and launched on October 25 1756. She belonged to the Compagnie des Indes, not to the Marine Royale. She entered service in February 1757.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from June 3 1757: captain Jean Christy de la Pallière
- in April 1758: captain Bouvet
- in September 1759: captain Jean Christy de la Pallière
The ship was wrecked in March 1785 on the coast of Isle de Bourbon.
Service during the War
On June 3 1757, the ship was commissioned at Lorient for service in India.
On January 27 1758, the ship was part of d'Aché's squadron which sailed from Île de France and made for the coast of Coromandel in India, transporting reinforcements under the command of Lally. Owing to the monsoon, it was much delayed. On April 28, the squadron arrived at daybreak into the roadstead of Fort St. David. The French squadron cut off the escape of the Bridgewater (24) and Triton (24) which were lying there, and which, to save them from capture, were run ashore and burnt. On April 29, while Lally was disembarking his troops at Pondicherry (actual Puducherry), the ship (with only 54 guns) was part of d'Aché's squadron who fought at the combat of Cuddalore. On August 3, when Pocock made another attempt to dislodge the French squadron from Pondicherry, the ship took part to the combat of Negapatam.
On September 10 1759, the ship took part in the battle of Pondicherry.
To do: details of the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||158 feet (48.16 m)|
|Width||40 feet 6 in (12.34 m)|
|Depth||17 feet 4 in (5.28 m)|
|Displacement||1300 tons (1179 metric tons)|
Blasco, Manuel, Ship of the Compagnie des Indes, 3 Decks Wiki
Service historique de la Défense, Les mouvements au long cours des navires de la deuxième Compagnie française des Indes orientales
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.