Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1686 and garrisoned at Hoya, Ahlen and Soltau.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhabers were:
- since 1740: von Böselager
- from 1756: von Wangenheim
Service during the War
On May 26 1758, the regiment was with Ferdinand's main force in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the Battle of Krefeld where it was deployed on the right wing in the brigade of the Erbprinz (Hereditary Prince) of Brunswick. At 1:00 p.m., this brigade launched an attack against the wood held by Saint-Germain's Division. On October 10, the regiment fought in the Battle of Lutterberg where it was deployed the first line of the centre as part of Diepenbroick's Brigade.
In June 1759, the regiment was part of the main Allied army under the command of Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On August 1, the regiment took part in the Battle of Minden where it was deployed in the first line of the 6th column under Major-General von Toll. It brought a very timely support to the British infantry advancing straight upon the cavalry deployed on the left of the French centre.
On July 10 1760, the regiment took part in the Combat of Corbach where it was deployed in the right column under Lieutenant-General Count von Kilmannsegg.
By May 23 1762, the regiment was attached to Granby's Corps forming the left wing of the Allied army towards Dörnberg. It belonged to Colonel von Ahlefeld's Brigade. On June 24, the regiment took part in the Battle of Wilhelmsthal.
|Coat||red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels
|Waistcoat||straw with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword (brass hilt), and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had silver lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in white.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating straw and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Colour: white field; centre device consisting of the Arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).
Regimental Colour: pale straw field; centre device consisting of an allegory depicting Fame with a trumpet flying over a trophy of arms; Fame is holding a scroll carrying the motto EXTENDERE FACTIS; flag bordered by seashells and possible nautical emblems; corner devices consisting of a cypher and a crown. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, H. d. J. and Hans M. Brauer: Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Niemeyer Joachim, Ortenburg Georg: The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel & Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar