Origin and History
The frigate was built at Limehouse and launched in 1740.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- 1757: captain John Rous
The frigate was broken up in 1761.
Service during the War
In 1757, the ship was part of the aborted expedition against Louisbourg. By July 10, a British fleet (Hardy's and Holbourne's squadrons) had been assembled at Halifax. However on August, when the combined fleet was ready to set sail, Louisbourg had already been reinforced by three French squadron and governor Loudon canceled the whole enterprise. Vice-admiral Holbourne sent the Winchelsea and other frigates to look into Louisbourg. The frigate returned and made his report which grossly underrated the strength of the French forces.
To do: campaigns from 1758 to 1762
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 202-205, 233-235
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 167-169, 171-172
Phillip, Michael, Ships of the Old Navy