Origin and History
The ship was built at Woolwich and launched in 1742.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from 1755 to May 1758: captain Samuel Faulknor
The ship was broken up in 1777.
Service during the War
In 1757, the ship was part of admiral Holbourne's squadron which left Ireland on May 5 for the planned expedition against Louisbourg. By July 10, the entire squadron was finally at anchor before Halifax where it made its junction with Hardy's squadron. However on August, when the combined fleet was ready to set sail, Louisbourg had already been reinforced by three French squadron and governor Loudon canceled the whole enterprise. Holbourne's squadron stayed off Louisbourg till September 25 when it was shattered by a most terrible storm. It then returned to Great Britain in a very bad condition.
To do: campaigns from 1758 to 1762
N.B.: reported with 54 guns in 1757 by "Complete History"
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 202-205, 233-235
Blasco, Manuel, British 4th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Phillip, Michael, Ships of the Old Navy