Origin and History
The regiment was officially established on December 11, 1760 from New Serbian settlers. However, some squadrons were already serving with the Russian field army in Europe under the name of “Zhóltiy” (yellow) squadrons, a name changed to Zhóltiy Hussarskiy (Yellow Hussars) when the regiment was officially established. In theory, it consisted of 10 companies in 5 squadrons for a total paper of 1,200 men.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- from ???? to ????: Colonel Franz de Swacekov (aka Swachek)
Service during the War
On July 23 1759, 2 squadrons of the future regiment took part in the Battle of Paltzig where they were attached to Riazanov's Brigade deployed in the vanguard behind the Cossacks. A few weeks later, on August 12, they fought in the Battle of Kunersdorf where they were deployed in the vanguard behind the Cossacks as part of Riazanov's Light Cavalry Brigade.
At the opening of the campaign of 1761, the regiment was with Tottleben's Corps in Pomerania. It took part in several skirmishes with the Prussians, among which the skirmish near Koldemanz on October 10 where one of its squadrons under Captain Carpov and Lieutenant-Colonel Suviorov was sent against the Prussian reinforcements. On November 18 during a skirmish near Labuhn, one of its squadrons under Svacekov fought against the Finckenstein Dragoons.
To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Dolman||yellow with black braids and brass buttons
|Breeches||yellow decorated with intricate black loops (white loops as per Funcken)|
Troopers were armed with a short, curved sabre and two pistols (no carbine). Zweguintzov mentions that Russian hussars also carried a carbine.
Officers wore uniforms identical to those of the troopers with the following differences:
- gold cords and lace
- yellow Hungarian boots
- pelisse trimmed with grey fur
NCOs wore uniforms identical to those of the troopers with the following differences:
- gold cords, knots and tassels on the mirliton
- gold lace
- a golden braid on the border of the collar
- golden braids on the sleeve (2 for the vakhmistr, 1 for quartermaster)
There was 1 kettle-drummer for the regiment and 1 trumpeter for each of the 10 companies. They wore uniforms identical to those of the troopers with the following differences:
- small wings on the shoulders
- braids of an unknown colour
Trumpets and kettle drums were made of copper and decorated with black lace and cords.
Russian hussar regiments carried no standards during the Seven Years' War.
Funcken, L. and F.: Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Gromoboy, Vlad: The Russian Pandours - Pandour Hussars (1741-61), Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. XII No. 1
Großer Generalstab, Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II (Publisher). Die Kriege Friedrichs des Großen. Dritter Teil: Der Siebenjährige Krieg 1756–1763. Vol. 4 Groß-Jägersdorf und Breslau, Berlin 1902
- chapter A: Das Kaiserlich Russiche Heer, page 1-46
- appendix: supplement 1, Das Kaiserlich Russiche Heer, page 3-18
Konstam A. & Younghusband B.: Russian Army of the Seven Years War, Osprey, London, 1996
Maslowskij, D.: Russkaia armija, vol. 3, p. 43
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Vial, J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar
Zweguintzov: L'Armee Russe, 1973
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges; and from information supplied by Tomasz Karpiński.