1702 – Campaign in Northern Italy – Imperialist OOB Beginning of June

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Campaigns >> 1702 – Campaign in Northern Italy >> Order of battle and deployment of the Imperial army at the beginning of June 1702

Description

Order of battle and deployment of the Imperial army at the beginning of June 1702

The Fossa Maestra, near Mantua, formed the front line of the Imperial army in the Seraglio. From the Castle of Curtatone the line went to Montanara and then to Buscoldo on the east side of a 4 m. high dam. From Buscoldo to Borgoforte, the line consisted of entrenchments with gun emplacements. Santa Madonna degli Angeli and a building in front of the Pradella Gate were fortified to be able to sustain themselves in case of attack. Another independent entrenchment blocked the Cerese Gate and fortified bridges assured communication with the left bank of the Mincio through Virgiliana and Garolda. For its part, Borgoforte had been made a strong bridgehead on the left bank of the Po. Upstream, there was a strong square stone redoubt flanked by seven towers and surrounded by a moat upstream. This redoubt formed a walled space, in which some houses were used as depot. Near this redoubt, there was also a small earthwork in front of the Fossa Maestra. The town of Borgoforte was defended by an earthwork with bastions. Furthermore, a covered way protected by a palisade had been built.

On a small island on the Po, an entrenchment had been erected. A small crownwork served as bridgehead on the right bank of the river. From a redoubt at the southern point of the island, a 260 paces long pontoon bridge led to the right bank. Another 380 paces long pontoon bridge linked the middle of the island with the right bank of the Po. Above the bridges, between Borgoforte and the mouth of the Fossa Maestra, a pier extended across the entire width of the Po.

On the right bank of Po, the Imperialists occupied Brescello, a place defended by five bastions and surrounded by a ditch filled with water; Guastalla, another fortified place although weaker as Brescello; and the isolated post on the Upper-Enza at the foot of the mountains. The fortress of Brescello also had a small entrenchment located on the left bank of the Po near Viadana.

Commander-in-Chief: Prince Eugène de Savoie

Summary: 55 field bns, 8 garrison bns, 97 sqns, 68 artillery pieces

In the lines from the Pradella Gate to Curtatone, Montanara and Buscoldo:

  • Eugène's headquarters at Montanara
  • Infantry (44¾ bns for a total of 18,625 men)
    • Gschwind (3 bns and 1 grenadier coy)
    • Guido Starhemberg (3 bns and 1 grenadier coy)
    • Liechtenstein (1 bn)
    • Herberstein (4 bns and 1 grenadier coy)
    • Bagni (4 bns and 1 grenadier coy)
    • Solari Infantry (3 bns) arriving in the following days
    • Rheingraf (2½ bns)
    • Guttenstein (3 bns and 1 grenadier coy)
    • Reventlau (1 bn)
    • Jung-Daun (3 bns and 1 grenadier coy)
    • Lothringen (2 bns)
    • Longueval-Buquoy (2 bns and 1 grenadier coy)
    • Kriechbaum Infantry (4 bns and 1 grenadier coy)
    • Gehlen (3 bns and 1 grenadier coy)
    • Guethem Free Company (1 coy)
    • Danish Dronningen's Livregiment (7 coys including a grenadier coy)
    • Danish Prins Georg (6 coys)
    • Danish Prins Carl (6 coys)
    • Danish Prins Christian (7 coys including a grenadier coy)
    • Danish Jyske (1 bn) (7 coys including a grenadier coy)
    • Danish Sjællandske (6 coys)
  • Cavalry (70 sqns for a total of 10,523 men including 1,008 dismounted men)
    • Taaffe Cuirassiers (6 sqns)
    • Pfalz-Neuburg Cuirassiers (6 sqns)
    • Vaudémont Cuirassiers (6 sqns)
    • Visconti Cuirassiers (6 sqns)
    • Lothringen Cuirassiers (6 sqns)
    • Savoyen Dragoons (6 sqns)
    • Herbeville Dragoons (6 sqns)
    • Serény Dragoons (6 sqns)
    • Dietrichstein Dragoons (6 sqns)
    • Vaubonne Dragoons (6 sqns)
    • Ebergényi Hussars (5 sqns)
    • Deak Hussars (2 sqns)
    • Danish Rodstens Dragoons (6 coys in 2 sqns)
  • in the Franciscan Abbey in front of Pradella Gate (700 men)

Near Virgiliana under the command of the Prince von Commercy and Trautmannsdorf

  • Infantry (10 bns for a total of 3,030 men)
    • Nigrelli (3 bns and 1 grenadier coy)
    • Hasslingen (1 bn of 5 coys with the grenadiers)
    • Liechtenstein (2 bns and 1 grenadier coy)
    • Reventlau (3 bns without grenadier coy)
  • Cavalry (27 sqns for a total of 2,538 men including 363 dismounted men)
    • Commercy Cuirassiers (6 sqns)
    • Corbelli Cuirassiers (6 sqns)
  • Pálffy Cuirassiers (6 sqns)
    • Danish Juels Dragoons (6 coys in 2 sqns)
  • Detachments
    • in Governolo
      • unidentified infantry (1 bn of 500 men)
    • in the fortified bridge at Garolda (40 foot, 13 horse)
    • at the pontoon bridge near Virgiliana (300 foot, 40 horse)
    • in Pietole (200 foot, 50 horse)
    • in Cerese (200 foot, 30 horse)
    • in Ostiglia
      • Danish Marine (5 coys)
    • on the left bank of the Mincio as vanguard
      • Alt-Hessen-Darmstadt Cuirassiers (6 sqns for a total of 940 men)
    • in Borgoforte
      • Lothringen (2 bns and 1 grenadier coy for a total of 657 men) under Lieutenant-Colonel Count Malvezzi

In Brescello under Lieutenant-Colonel Baron Wetzel (6 bns for a total of 1,500 men)

  • Gehlen Infantry (1 bn)
  • Alt-Daun Infantry (1 bn)
  • Nigrelli Infantry (1 bn)
  • Guido Starhemberg Infantry (1 bn)
  • Guttenstein Infantry (1 bn)
  • Jung-Daun Infantry (1 bn)
  • various detachments
    • in Guastalla
      • Guido Starhemberg Infantry (1 captain and 127 men)
    • in Montecchio
      • Guttenstein Infantry (1 captain, 1 lieutenant and 75 men)
    • in Viadana (1 captain and 76 commandeered men from Gehlen, Nigrelli, Starhemberg, Guttenstein and Jung-Daun)

Artillery

  • 12 x 24-pdr Carthaunen
  • 4 mortars
  • 56 regimental guns
  • Train
    • 12 carts
    • 6 ammunition wagons
    • 3 cannonball wagons
    • 3 grenade wagons
    • 3 Schanzzen wagons

A small field hospital was located in Guastalla and the main hospital at San Benedetto.

A magazine had been established at Mesola to receive supply sent by sea; another one in Rovereto for supply coming from Tyrol.

References

Abtheilung für Kriegsgeschichte des k. k. Kriegs-Archives: Feldzüge des Prinzen Eugen von Savoyen, Series 1, Vol. 4, Vienna 1877, pp. 219-222

Rockstroh, K.C.: Et Dansk Korps' Historie 1701-1709 i Italien 1701-3, i Ungarn 1704-9, Kjøbenhavn 1895

Acknowledgement

Dan Schorr for additional information concerning the Danish Contingent