4th Jyske Cuirassiers

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Danish Army >> 4th Jyske Cuirassiers

Origin and History

The regiment was created in 1670 as the 2nd Jyske Nationale Rytterregiment. On 1 July 1675, the unit was divided in 3rd Jyske Cuirassiers and 4th Jyske Cuirassiers. The fourth regiment recruited in Kolding, Stjernholm and Aarhus Counties.

In 1700, during the Great Northern War (1700-21), the regiment was stationed in Holstein.

From 1701 to 1713, during the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment served in the pay of the Dutch Republic with the army of the “Sea Powers.”

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the successive colonels of the regiment were:

  • from 1 April 1699: Jorgen von Rantzau
  • from 9 December 1709 to 1714: Rudolf Günther Grabow

The regiment was disbanded in 1714.

Service during the War

Throughout the war, the regiment served with the army of the “Sea Powers.”

In October 1701, two squadrons crossed the Elbe and marched by way of Hanover and Münster to Friesland and Brabant.

In 1702, these squadrons took part in the siege and capture of Liège.

In mid-March 1704, after settling the problem with pay arrears, these squadrons were posted in Southern Brabant. In July, they were ordered to join Marlborough's Army in Bavaria. They join the army at Nördlingen. On 13 August, they took part in the Battle of Blenheim, where they formed part of Rantzau’s Brigade, which was posted on the extreme right of the centre in third line. In the autumn, they took part in the sieges of Trarbach and Saarburg. They took up their winter-quarters between the Moselle and the Rhine.

At the end of May 1706, these squadrons joined Marlborough's Army and, on 23 May, took part in the Battle of Ramillies, where the Danish cavalry distinguished itself. The regiment formed part of Brockdorff´s Brigade, on the left wing They were present at the ensuing sieges of Antwerp, Ostend, Menin, Ath, Dendermonde and Oudenarde.

On 11 July 1708, the regiment took part in the Battle of Oudenarde.

In 1709, these squadrons took part in the siege of Tournai. On 11 September, they fought in the Battle of Malplaquet.

In 1714, the two squadrons returned to Denmark.

Uniform

Trooper

Uniform in 1675 – Copyright Richard Couture
Uniform Details in 1675
Headgear black tricorne laced white with an iron skull cap for combat; a black cockade was worn on the left side of the hat
Neck stock black
Coat double-breasted grey-white coat with isabelle lining and with 22 brass buttons (11 on each side) and 1 brass button on each side in the small of the back. All buttonholes were trimmed in yellow (the distinctive colour of the regiment)
Collar none
Shoulder straps none
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets with brass buttons (we assume that there were 3 buttons in our illustration)
Cuffs isabelle with 3 brass buttons
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat yellow with metal buttons
Breeches yellowish natural leather
Leather Equipment
Cross-belt yellowish natural leather worn across the left shoulder
Waistbelt yellowish natural leather waist-belt worn above the coat
Scabbard black leather with a metal tip
Footgear black leather riding boots
Horse Furniture
Saddlecloth isabelle bordered white, with a crowned blue lion rampant and 9 red hearts in the lower rear corner
Housings isabelle bordered white, decorated with a crowned blue lion rampant and 9 red hearts
Blanket roll isabelle


Troopers wore a blackened breast plate and were armed with a sword, a pistol and a carbine.

NCOs

NCOs were distinguished from privates by a silver lace on the hat and silver edging on the cuffs, and wore full cuirass.

Officers

Uniforms of officers differed from those of the privates and NCOs by the finer material used. They were not standardized across the entire army but seems to have been similar within a regiment. Buttons were silver-plated and silver embroideries decorated the coat, cuffs and pocket flaps. Their coat could be single or double-breasted. The hats of officers were often edged with a white plumetis. The officers wore full cuirass.

Musicians

No information found yet

Standards

Colonel Standard: white field; the Dannebrog (a white cross pattée) on a red field in the first canton (upper left); centre device consisting of a crowned blue lion passant with 9 red hearts underneath on a yellow field; the whole surrounded by a baroque frame in gold; golden fringe.

Company Standards: blue field; the Dannebrog (a white cross pattée) on a red field in the first canton (upper left); centre device consisting of a crowned blue lion passant with 9 red hearts underneath on a yellow shield; the whole surrounded by a baroque frame in gold; golden fringe. The motto “BLANDT TORNE ROSEN GROR” in gold under the center device.

Colonel Standard - Copyright: Kronoskaf
Company Standard - Copyright: Kronoskaf


References

Martinsson, Örian: Danish Cavalry Uniforms 1700-1730 in Tacitus.nu

Snorasson, Torstein and Søren Henriksen: Danish Uniforms 1699-1712, Chakoten 1997 and 1998.

Höglund, Lars-Eric and Sallnäs, Åke;: The Great Northern war 1700-1721 part 2

Scheunchen, Helge: Den Spanske Arvefølge Krig, Chakoten 1984

Vaupell, O.F.: Den Danske Haers Historie, Copenhagen 1876, p. 574

Wikipedia - Danish Auxiliary Corps in Anglo-Dutch service 1701–1714

N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.

Acknowledgment

Henrik Plenge for the initial version of this article.

Wienand Drenth for additional information on this regiment.