Albertini Infantry

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Spanish Army (Bourbon) >> Albertini Infantry

Origin and History

A regiment of 2,400 men was raised on 27 March 1693 in the Republic of the Three Leagues (Grisons) by Hercules de Capol (1642-1706) according to a contract signed with King Charles II of Spain. It initially served in Italy with the Savoyard Army during the Nine Years’ War (1688-1697). When Duke Victor Amadeus II of Savoy signed a separate peace with Louis XIV in 1695, De Capol asked the King of Spain to be transferred to the Dutch services and was allowed to do so in February of the same year and became colonel of the Dutch Capol Infantry.

After his departure, Jakob Ulrich von Albertini took command of the regiment.

During the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment was under the command of:

  • from February 1695 to 1706: Colonel Jakob Ulrich von Albertini von La Punt Chamuesch und Luzein

Service during the War

The regiment was initially deployed in the Duchy of Milan.

In 1706 after the costly Siege of Turin, the regiment (only a quarter of its original strength) surrendered to the Allies.

Uniform

no information found yet

Colours

no information found yet

References

Belaubre, J.: Les régiments suisses au service des Provinces unies, 1970

Het Staatsche Leger, VIII – 3

Legermuseum – Nederlandse Infanterieuniformen Omstreeks 1700

Pochon: Les Suisses au Service de Hollande

Wikipedia German Edition

Acknowledgement

Jörg Meier for the initial version of this article