Andrássy Infantry

From Project WSS
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: War of the Spanish Succession (Main Page) >> Armies >> Austrian Army >> Andrássy Infantry

Origin and History

On 23 October 1702, Paul Baron Andrássy de Szent Király received a patent authorising him to raise a hayduk infantry regiment counting 2,000 men in 10 companies. The recruits were raised in the region along the right bank of the Danube River.

The successive proprietors of the regiment during the War of the Spanish Succession were:

  • from 1702: Colonel Paul Baron Andrássy de Szent Király (defected to Rákóczi’s rebels in 1703)

The successive effective commanders of the regiment during the War of the Spanish Succession were:

  • from 1702: Baron Paul Baron Andrássy (the proprietor of the regiment)
  • from 1704: Lieutenant-Colonel Christoph Pfeilheim

By 1706, the regiment was very weak and its remaining men were transferred to Bagosy Infantry.

Service during the War

In 1702, once brought to full strength, the regiment was sent to Italy.

In 1703, the regiment served in Vaubonne’s Corps in South Tyrol.

In 1704, the regiment remained on the Po River and fought at Ostiglia.

In 1705, the regiment was allocated to the army of Prince Eugène. On 16 August, it took part in the Battle of Cassano.

In 1706, the regiment was initially allocated to Leiningen’s Corps but was later incorporated in Bagosy Infantry.

Uniform

no information found yet

Colors

no information found yet

References

Wrede, A. v.: Geschichte der K. und K. Wehrmacht, file II. pp. 177ff, Vienna 1898

Acknowledgments

Harald Skala for the initial version of this article